WLP099 super high gravity yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was thinking to try it on an RIS that stalled around 10%. It's a bit "thick" on the tongue.

I used it on a barley wine and it's a total beast as I was able to coax it to 15% through regular feedings.
That said, with any yeast it's hard to unstick anything that's already in toxic territory, but if I was inclined to give anything a try it'd be to pitch a liter starter of '099 at high krausen...

Cheers!

I used it on a barley wine and it's a total beast as I was able to coax it to 15% through regular feedings.
That said, with any yeast it's hard to unstick anything that's already in toxic territory, but if I was inclined to give anything a try it'd be to pitch a liter starter of '099 at high krausen...
Exactly. You may only be successful unsticking a stall at 10% ABV if you make a nice size starter and only pitch it after the starter is super lively.

So just pitching the yeast into the keg isn't going to do much of anything? Even though there is lots of residual gravity for it to work on?

I like WLP099 and made a whole beer featuring it a few years back. It's had kind of a malt liquor flavor (think Olde English 800) and attenuated really high without drying or thinning the beer too much. I've also used it after a primary yeast has completely finished, kind of like you're wondering about, to get the character of a primary yeast but the attenuation of the WLP099. Using it in your case sounds awesome! For this, bring in that warmed-up reliever!

Last edited:
Back