12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the last few episodes of Basic Brewing, the hosts have been experimenting with a steam juicer to produce juice for brewing. I'm not sure if it applies to your recipe but it seems like a nifty way to extract flavor from fruits and veggies. A couple of more platelet donations and I'll have enough Amazon gift cards to get one 😀
Got a link to the steam juicer?

This cherry pitter has good reviews. Might be worth a shot.

Limited-time deal: Ordekcity Cherry Pitter Tool Cherries Corer Pitter Tool Stainless Steel Fruit Pit Remover for Cherry Jam with Lock Design https://a.co/d/9auyeqi

I want the cherry “meat” exposed anyway. I might try the sous vide method for pasteurizing the cherries after I pit them.
That one looks heavy duty. I used a plastic one that would pit six cherries at a time. Worked pretty well.

Welcome! Its not my project, but I got no issues with your participating this or next year. Maybe someone is close enough to you geographically that you could brew with them?
Wonderful idea. I won't be available until after the new year, but game on after that.

Lallemand Abbaye ripped through the Cherry Dubbel wort!

Attachments

• IMG_7488.png
    IMG_7488.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7503.png
    IMG_7503.png
    195 KB · Views: 0
I brewed the base IPA for my entry weekend before last. Got it dry hopped a few days ago and this weekend will be transferring to a secondary with the honey and ginger mix.

I brewed a one gallon test batch a few weeks ago and am really glad I did. On tasting you get massive punch of ginger -- it's completely overpowering. Apparently the stuff I bought is exeptionally potent. I'm going to cut the called for amount in half for the production run and ramp up as tastings dictate.

It is a little ironic to be brewing Christmas beer out on the back patio given August weather in the desert southwest.

IMG_6016.jpg
IMG_6017.jpg

I transferred off the cherries today. I made 10 gallons because I thought I would lose a lot of volume to the cherries, but they didn't absorb much beer (unlike dry hops). So, I have an extra 5 gallons, I considered pitching a pouch of Roselare Yeast blend on it and putting it away for next year!

Secondary.jpg

I transferred off the cherries today. I made 10 gallons because I thought I would lose a lot of volume to the cherries, but they didn't absorb much beer (unlike dry hops). So, I have an extra 5 gallons, I considered pitching a pouch of Roselare Yeast blend on it and putting it away for next year!

View attachment 827600
You ever try any of the wild blends from Bootleg Biology?

Hey all - he king in here as I haven’t updated the post in a bit. Been busy brewing beers for my Son’s wedding and with other things. Planning to brew my beer for this years exchange this coming weekend.

Here is the final list. I’ll be reaching out next month to get addresses to share with everyone for shipping.

1) Caramel Quadruple - @4_Sons_Brewing
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel - @kwilson16
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock - @mjdonnelly68
4) Juniper Rye Bock - @shetc
5) Fruitcake Old Ale - @jerbrew
6) Saffron Tripel - @GoodTimeCharlie
7) Christmas Gruit - @passedpawn
8) Honey Ginger IPA - @thetick
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale - @JAReeves
10) Gingerbread Ale - @Rish
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout - @BAF
12) Abbey Weizen - @Beekeeper

Hey all - he king in here as I haven’t updated the post in a bit. Been busy brewing beers for my Son’s wedding and with other things. Planning to brew my beer for this years exchange this coming weekend.

Here is the final list. I’ll be reaching out next month to get addresses to share with everyone for shipping.

5) Fruitcake Old Ale - @jerbrew
wow dude. you started this thread. let's gooooooooo.

Hey all -

Wrapped up my brew today for the caramel quad - with lots of help from my wife on the caramel / toffee addition- that was quite an experience - but think it turned out well.

I PM’d the group to send me shipping and email addresses. I’ll compile and get them out via email when I have them all.

Hope everyone is progressing on their beers - we wound up missing one last year, so hoping we get a full 12 this year.

Cheers!

I recently used Shippo for the first time, to ship beers to a competition. Two 12 ounce bottles went from Roswell, GA to Vista, CA for $11, which was at least $5 cheaper than going direct to FedEx. Actual shipping was via FedEx, and then USPS for the last miles. I'll be using Shippo for sending out my bock beer to y'all.

All -

Unfortunately we had a member pull out of this years exchange. I’m posting the updated list here. I know it’s late in the game, but if someone wants to pick up the open beer let me know. We may have a 2nd opening as well as I’ve not heard from one other person that signed up.

5) Fruitcake Old Ale

All -

Unfortunately we had a member pull out of this years exchange. I’m posting the updated list here. I know it’s late in the game, but if someone wants to pick up the open beer let me know. We may have a 2nd opening as well as I’ve not heard from one other person that signed up.

5) Fruitcake Old Ale

2nd opening? Which?

Spiced Bourbon Stout. @BAF is lost comms right now. Worst case is that we would end up with two stouts if someone makes this one. Throw some Lutra at it with warm ferm temps. Be done in no time!

"6 to 9 months" maturation won't be happening for Fruitcake Old Ale, at least not prior to Christmas.
Looking at the recipe, I don't think it really needs that much time. The main thing is getting the spices to meld into the beer, which is maybe 2 or 3 weeks after packaging.

Last edited:
So my Saffron tripel is coming along nicely. Question: the recipe says to add the saffron at secondary. I’m thinking of adding a couple of strands to each bottle instead. I think it’s mostly for color which should still convey. And that would leave the extra that I brewed w/o Saffron. Thoughts?

Now the hard part ;) Drinking bottled beer and saving the bottles. I should be bottling (from keg) in the next month.

View attachment 831154
The BEST bottles for re-using are Guinness Draught with the shrink wrap labels. They use no glue and just cut right off. Perfect bottle for re-use with 3 seconds of effort.

IMG_2597.jpeg

Last edited:
@Beekeeper16
Would you be willing to share the recipe that you used for Abbey Weizen? Looks really good.
This is what I began with, and just now reviewing my notes I made a subtle change in the grain bill to include just a hint of smoked flavour:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1390919/abbey-someone-weizenOG: 1.045 FG: 1.011 ABV: 4.45% IBU: 9.92 SRM: 3.75
Danstar - Abbaye Ale Yeast

@kwilson16 I saw your messages only because I follow this thread. I don't know who @Beekeeper16 is, but maybe he also brewed an Abbey Weizen?

Online recipe has been updated to reflect actual brew. (I may want to make more of this!)

Last edited:
I added the 16 to your callsign accidentally. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the recipe!

I'm getting my recipe together for the Spiced Bourbon Stout. The base will be my american stout - mild Northern Brewer + Cascade should go well with the spice additions. I have a keg of it currently on tap so I will play around with the additions later today to get a preview of the flavors.

I usually brew 15 liter batches so my grainfather will be getting a workout - I'm targeting 30L to make sure I have enough to share and drink :cool:.

I set up a couple of test bottles of the Gingerbread Brown, one primed with sugar, the other with dark molasses (which is different than the recipe but consistent with gingerbread). I'll check it in a couple of weeks then get it in the bottles. Anyone have any input on priming with molasses? Does everyone dislike molasses in beer? Let me know.🍻
IMG_20231015_171452.jpg

I set up a couple of test bottles of the Gingerbread Brown, one primed with sugar, the other with dark molasses (which is different than the recipe but consistent with gingerbread). I'll check it in a couple of weeks then get it in the bottles. Anyone have any input on priming with molasses? Does everyone dislike molasses in beer? Let me know.🍻
View attachment 831654
Molasses sounds intriguing.

RE: the Crabapple Lambic. My normal Crabapple supplier apparently had his orchards burn down in one of the gazillion California Brush Fires (he planted other varieties as replacements). I have been assured by another vendor at our local farmer's market that he'll have some in a week or so. I'm not happy with the secondary turnaround, but I will puree the crabapples minus seeds (if he comes through) so the flavor and sugar are accessible faster. Still planning on bottling last weekend in November.

View attachment 831654
I’ve never bottled with molasses but as @JAReeves said it’s sounds intriguing! Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back