1318 Over-attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfarthing

I make beer, what's your superpower?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently used WY1318 in two seperate batches, an old ale and a stout. Both were pitched into cellar temperature wort straight from smack packs. Both are showing an apparent attenuation of 80/81%. Samples were measured with a digital refractometer, and adjusted using both BeerSmith and Brewers Friend calculators.

I have used this yeast religiously and never seen it exceed the attenuation guidelines, except when coupled with a Conan strain once (though now I am wondering about that...).

Has anyone had any experience with 1318 over-attenuating?

That's quite attenuative, going 80-81% from a high-mashed brew. The mfr. states 71-75%, so I have no idea what would allow it to attenuate so far. In prior batches, when the yeast did not exceed the attenuation range, were you using the same refractometer with the same correction? Just trying to eliminate any variable there.

Yes. Same equipment for measurement.

I will see how these turn out before I jump to conclusions, but something just seems off.

OK, so we know it's not a discrepancy based on what you used to measure gravity. Had you switched from a hydrometer to refractometer just before the latest two batches, it would be logical to question the refractometer. But that is not the case. Did you couple with Conan on those two high attenuation batches, or was that some other time? Otherwise, it's just so odd that a yeast that consistently clocked in at low-70s for attenuation suddenly hits low 80s. Especially, given your high mash temps.

Just curious--what were the OG and FG of the two beers?

I had 79% with 1318 and I also mashed high at 155F for a NEIPA ( had some GNO in there ).

THIS was direct pitch as well. No starter.

I do not think they are monkeying with the yeast.

1318 is an English yeast strain, as such it likes warm temperatures. My NEIPA fermented at 22C or 71.6F and it was done in 4 days. 4 days later I dry hopped for the second time and at day 12-13 it was ready to drink.

Mine were both in the 64-66 range.

Then it would seem the yeast has the potential to attenuate more than Wyeast is stating. Could have something to do with the pitch rate in this case. Also a bit odd, that yours and mine were direct pitch as well.

Whatever it is, I like the yeast and wish it would be available dry.

I personally have not used sugars with this yeast. I fermented warm as stated above and it was done very quick.

No simple sugars on my side. I actually had a grain bill that I would have expected under-attenuation on (heavy on Cara malts) at my mash temp.

Closing the loop here, this was mildly infected.

Bringing this thread back. What made you determine it was mildly infected? I’ve been gotten 78-80% attenuation on my last 3 batches with 1318. Found this thread while trying to figure out what’s going on

Bringing this thread back. What made you determine it was mildly infected? I’ve been gotten 78-80% attenuation on my last 3 batches with 1318. Found this thread while trying to figure out what’s going on

It had an interesting smoky taste, but as it aged it started gushing and definitely had some sour elements to it.

Latest posts

Back