15 minute cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
Got a question for you all...
My first attempt at a 15 minute extract cream ale was cooked on Dec 30. OG came in at 1.057 and today, 8 days later i took a reading at 1.012. I used saflager 34/70 due to my cool fermenting space this time of year (50-52 degrees). I seems done fermenting and relatively clear. I was planning on primary for a month, cold crash for a week and then bottle. With the lager yeast, am i okay to cold crash for a week now and then bottle and let bottle condition or "bottle lager" for 6-8 weeks before consumption? The sample tasted good, and would be happy if what i tasted was carbonated. This is my 8th brew ever, but all priors were ales with ale yeast. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? TIA

JO in MN

BF said it should get to 1.009. I'll probably let it sit through the weekend and test again on monday or tuesday. After that tho, is a cold crash necessary since the yeast seems to be done? I don't know much about lager yeasts

I realize they are just estimates. I hit the OG right on the headn as long as im in the vicinity of the estimate and get the same reading a couple days apart i know it's done.

Any tips on how to lower the temp without a temperature regulated contraption? I got a cabin that sits around 50-55 degrees and a fridge (with other food and stuff in it) that sits at about 34 degrees....i will do some searching for some cooler parts of the cabin maybe and gradually/carefully move it around?

Realize, lager yeast can and will produce sulfur. Allowing the yeast lagering time gives the yeast the time to clean up things. IMO, don't rush it.

Do wish we lived closer to each other as I have a few lagers currently on tap that I'd gladly share with you and BS about brewing.

Your insight has been extremely helpful. I will lager for 6+ weeks and then bottle condition for 2-4 more. This gets me to mid March or early april...hopefully about the time the weather starts warming in these parts.

I too wish there were more active members in my area to swap beers with, but have yet to find anyone. I have plenty of people willing to give me criticisms and praises...but they are getting free beer, so their judgement may be skewed. If u ever find yourself in this area, let me know and ill see if we can chit chat...

Oh, there are beer swaps via the postal mail. Search for them at HBT.

Maybe for the first time lagering, since waiting is difficult, cut the lager time in half?

German brewers would move their beer into cool caves to lager.

I lager in a temp controlled chest freezer.

Hey, OK, thanks 🤞you too.

I'll see how long i can hold out. I got an oatmeal cookie brown ale and a SMaSH with maris otter and lemon drop hops just about ready to hit the boil pot too, hopefully in the next week or two. And about 2 more weeks of bottle conditioning on a chocolate milk stout. I should be able to hold the lager for 6 weeks. But we shall see!!

I just made a german pils with 34/70. It was a tad slow to start and fermented pretty slowly too. I thought it was done at 1012/1011, but sure enough a lil 2⁰ bump and it slowly worked down to 1009. Took 8 days total.
Whenever I use S05 or WL SD super yeast fermentation is done in 3 days pretty much.
Ps, if you used 34/70 and fermented low 50s you made a lager.

I just made a german pils with 34/70. It was a tad slow to start and fermented pretty slowly too. I thought it was done at 1012/1011, but sure enough a lil 2⁰ bump and it slowly worked down to 1009. Took 8 days total.
Whenever I use S05 or WL SD super yeast fermentation is done in 3 days pretty much.
Ps, if you used 34/70 and fermented low 50s you made a lager.

Thank you sir for the information. Im at 8 days and 1.012. Like previously noted, I'll let it go thru the weekend and see where it is at. If it didnt lower at all, ferment is done

Back