1st ever Hard Cider attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFR1004

Reaction score
Having used multiple home-brew kits in the past to make cider's and lager without issue *Well except for the one that I doubled the sugar load for fermentation and even I could only drink a couple at a time due to the ABV% lol* I had a fairly moderate crop of crab apples so attempted the recipe shown here https://andhereweare.net/how-to-make-hard-cider-from-whole-apples/

I used apple juice to pad out the crab apple juice and have just bottled it, it tastes good and quite potent strength but smells of acetone? Is this safe to drink and will it ease of with time in the bottles?

Let it be for a while. Like, a long while. Then try one. I bet it tastes much better after it's been forgotten about for a while.

Wild fermentation doesn't always yield good results. "Acetone" likely could have been produced by some of the wild microbes.

Adding sugar is also bad for flavor.

Straight crab apples don't make a great cider (from what I've heard) because they are very high in acid. I'm wondering if that might be part of what you're detecting.

At what temperature was it fermented?
Too high fermentation yields more messy fermentation byproducts, including solvent/fusel flavors.
Probably want to keep a wild fermentation under 56°F for more consistent quality results.

It is as safe to drink as any cider.

I've had acetone in my beer before. Could not drink, it was horrible. Dumped.

Hope you don't have the same problem with your cider. Like others said, give it time and *maybe* it will improve.

Thanks to everyone for your replies / advice, much appreciated...... most of it has been drank anyways so will stick to the kits in future.

*Have a Wine Buddy 7 day / 6 bottle Merlot just about ready for finings, etc. which I have never tried before either so fingers crossed*

;)

Back