2.5 gal batch any concern over partial boil (1gal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
would it be anything to worry about doing a 1 gallon boil for a 2.5 gallon batch of beer?

also considering just buying 5 galllon kit and making in 2 seperate batches what would be an issue here hops hard to measure just reuse the yeast?

any place that sells 2.5 gal kits?

I'm going to be very general in my reply:

Yes... The overall quality of your beer will suffer. I would try to do a full wort boil if at all possible.

What kind of beer are you looking to brew?

If you are making 2 1/2 gallon batches I would find a pot that can boil more than one gallon. You should be able to do full boils pretty cheaply...

No place I know of sells 2 1/2 gallon kits. Buy the five gallon kit.

You can just eyeball half the one ounce packet of hops well enough to not notice any taste difference.

Just buy an extra packet of dry yeast for the second batch for 2-3 bucks.

As long as you are going to buy a five gallon kit, why not just get the equipment to brew five gallons? It need not be expensive or pretty. A plastic fermenting pail and the cheapest 4 gallon kettle would do.....just sayin....
Pez.

If you are making 2 1/2 gallon batches I would find a pot that can boil more than one gallon. You should be able to do full boils pretty cheaply...

No place I know of sells 2 1/2 gallon kits. Buy the five gallon kit.

You can just eyeball half the one ounce packet of hops well enough to not notice any taste difference.

Just buy an extra packet of dry yeast for the second batch for 2-3 bucks.

As long as you are going to buy a five gallon kit, why not just get the equipment to brew five gallons? It need not be expensive or pretty. A plastic fermenting pail and the cheapest 4 gallon kettle would do.....just sayin....
Pez.

+1. I started with a Mr Beer and was going to buy 5 gallon recipe kits and split in half and ferment in it. I decided to spend $15 for an Ale Pail instead and picked up an 8 gallon aluminum pot for $20. You can definitely split the 5 gallon recipe, but it takes the same amount of time/work to make 5 gallons as it does to make 2.5, so I think getting a larger fermenter and pot are money well spent.

Mainly the issue is with storage space and quickness of the boil.. i also drink much less nowadays so the storage of not only the pot but the 50+ beers would be an issue.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, I do have the equipment for 5 gal brews 2 carboys and a ale pale as well as a SS brew pot (I used the range for boils in my previous 3 brews). Unfortunately all of my equipment was placed in the very back of my parents storage shed by movers when they moved, and its like a war zone to get anything out of there at this time. I live in a very small apartment. Also on top of that the aforementioned desire for smaller batches coincides with my decreased consumption (trying to shed the lbs. and down 35 so far!).

Latest posts

Back