2 batches sour in a row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruscar

Eat, drink, repeat
Reaction score
1st, figured, somethin' funky crawled into the process. Resolved to clean, baby clean on the next
2nd, did just that. Cleaned everything like life (and all that is holy, beer) depended on it. Still f'ing sour.
I'm rekindled but a 3-peat may have me mowing my neighbor's cat!
rockets.gif

Sez you?

Bummer.

Describe your process!
Open ferment? or Air Lock?
AG, Or Extract?

Sour...OR BITTER? I actually had a few batches that were EXTRA bitter due to not adjusting for full boil volume as I was getting ready for AG.

Airlock, extract, and, ugh, sour. Oh, and inconsistent carbonation, bottle to bottle.

Sour at the end of fermentation or after bottling? I had a similar problem. I was using whole hops and straining them- switched to pellets when I realized that I wasn't able to sanitize my strainer even when I boiled it. If you have a problem after fermentation but a problem when in the bottle try new tubing.

Yeah. I'ma gonna 86 all my old tubing when I slither into B3. Thanks for the confirm of the idea.

Also, are you using plastic fermentation containers? If so look to see if they're scratched. If they are, ditch them, they probably have bacteria in them that you can't get rid of.

Nope. Glass carboys. I do have a 5 gal. Better Bottle for 2nd fermentation on lagers but it's only been used once.

I'd just give EVERYTHING a good soak in bleach water, then rinse very well and start over with some StarSan at the next brew.

That's the extra insurance I gave myself after intentionally giving a batch a lactic infection. It caused me to really think about how to controll the issue from there on.

I brought a bottle of the current swill to the LHBS for the boys to analyze. Temperature swings during ferment got brought up. In retrospect, I have to admit I was not as vigilant as I've been in the past.
It really helped getting feedback with product in hand. My $0.02.
Bacteria was brought up so the new tubing, a good bleach bath, etc. should bring things back around. I'll cook it up this weekend and see.

Had the same problem on my first two batches of AG. Was told it was a lactos bacillus ( I don't know if I spelled it right) infection. I believe it came from my counter flow chiller. The first time I used the CFC, I flushed it with hot water. Evidently it was clean, the next two batches were sour. I cleaned it real god with oxy clean and have done two batches since without a problem.

PS, it OK to drink , add a little lime to it, after a few, you'll get used to it. I still got 5 gallons left I'm drinking.

I'm sorry Bruscar... Just wanted to give you a beer hug to cheer you up... I know you've been ready to start beating your carboys for all the infected batches last year. :(

Hope this one goes away! You da man!

If it's a lacto infection set the bottles aside for a year and they will be tasty sour beer. If sour beer isn't your thing take 'em to the local homebrew club, somebody will be happy! :rockin:

I'm sorry Bruscar... Just wanted to give you a beer hug to cheer you up... I know you've been ready to start beating your carboys for all the infected batches last year. :(

Hope this one goes away! You da man!

Aw, got the warm fuzzies!! Thanks!!

Yeah, one of these was one from last year that you mentioned, then this stupid lager gone bad! Those were the only two I've brewed lately. Really took me out of the game.

Back