2 tier vs 3 tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmymilkyway

Reaction score
I am debating between a 3 tier system or a full volume mash 2 tier system. What do you guys think about full volume mashing?

It's a tradeoff between minimalized equipment requirements vs extract efficiency.
A good recipe building program can account for the efficiency part and allow consistent results at a modest cost per batch premium.

As for the 2 vs 3 tier, I'm not a fan of heights, in many regards ;)

Cheers!

Been very happy with two-tier for many years. Elevated HLT for gravity feed to MLT. Pump for re-circulating mash, transfer to kettle and whirlpool.

I have a3 tier. I started on it, I like it. It is a nuisance to add water to the top. I don’t have a pump so I’ll continue to lift buckets of water. Id like to pump it up to my hlt.

I’ve been a huge fan of a 2 tier full volume no sparge system. I’ve been using that for the past few years and I have no complaints. Smaller footprint, less gear.

I have a3 tier. I started on it, I like it. It is a nuisance to add water to the top. I don’t have a pump so I’ll continue to lift buckets of water. Id like to pump it up to my hlt.

Might not work for you if you use RO water, but my tap water is great and I got a food grade garden hose like the ones they use for hooking up RVs. No more hoisting buckets of water for me.

Been very happy with two-tier for many years. Elevated HLT for gravity feed to MLT. Pump for re-circulating mash, transfer to kettle and whirlpool.

My system exactly. I have boil and mash tier about 3’ off the ground so I can gravity drain into fermentor but mostly I just pump it into there. I added a second pump so I can double batch...one pump recircing the mash while other pump runs the whirlpool. This let me add a rotometer to the mash pump to watch flow rates both during recirc and lauter. The rotometer is no good on the brew kettle as not rated for boiling and clogs easily with pellet hops.

I am debating between a 3 tier system or a full volume mash 2 tier system. What do you guys think about full volume mashing?

Hmmm I do think you mean two vessel vs three vessel. I’m interested in 2 vessel also but have no experience with it.

I’m thinking there must be some small efficiency hit vs a sparge based system since the wort absorbed by the grain bed will be full strength pre boil gravity wot. The positive would be smaller footprint...a little smaller...and faster brew day by cutting lautering time. I’m thinking I would save 45 min of lautering time...cutting from 60 min to 15 min.

I’d want mash tun equal or larger than boil kettle. On my three vessel system I have 15.5 gal mash tun and 22 gal bk. I max out at about 1.065 for full half barrel batch and that’s with a very thick mash...about 1.1 qt/lb. Going to 2 vessel I’d prob look for 25 gallon mash tun which would be considerable investment and would eat into the footprint savings a bit.

Finally on the savings on lauter time that only matters if you can get the kettle to a boil quickly. I boil on NG so getting from 170 mash out to boiling could easily take 30 min. With slow fly sparge I’m heating bk while sparring so am at or very close to boil when sparge is done.

My system exactly. I have boil and mash tier about 3’ off the ground so I can gravity drain into fermentor but mostly I just pump it into there. I added a second pump so I can double batch...one pump recircing the mash while other pump runs the whirlpool. This let me add a rotometer to the mash pump to watch flow rates both during recirc and lauter. The rotometer is no good on the brew kettle as not rated for boiling and clogs easily with pellet hops.

What rotameter do you use? Would you buy it again, or do you think there is a better option out there?

Might not work for you if you use RO water, but my tap water is great and I got a food grade garden hose like the ones they use for hooking up RVs. No more hoisting buckets of water for me.
Duh... I have one. My well water is good. I’ll be using it next brew day.
Thanks

I have a 2 NG burner, 2 pump, 3 tier
sculpture. I built the 3 tier before I bought pumps. HERMS in the HLT, that I haven’t used in a long time. When I get back to Brewing soon I will use it. I have always fly sparged and really liked it. I pump my strike from my BK to my 120qt Extreme cooler MT. Works great for me.

That said, if I were starting from scratch it would be a 2 tier. 3 is just too tall.

Back