6 gallon better bottles versus glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBChallenger

Reaction score
Any thoughts? I am in need of several carboys and am half considering the better bottles over the glass. i'd be interested to hear feedback. I am currently looking at picking up about 6 carboys. Thanks ahead of time!

The BB vs glass debate has been raging for at least several eons, give or take. I think it's covered in the HBT pro/con sticky. Definitely check that out - I can't post a link cuz I'm on my cell.

Personally, I'm a glass guy. They're heavier and more breakable but there's no downside from a longevity standpoint. Just be careful and don't drop them.

Too many near misses with a wet slick carboy - Kind of like my old Harley Electra Glide, if it starts to fall you are in trouble. I have one Better Bottle but mostly use plastic conicals at this point to eliminate racking and would use a Corny keg if I wanted to age. I do like the BB for Apfelwein so I can see the zillion bubble show.

Anyone actually had issues with scratching up better bottles when cleaning with a brush? If the answer is largely no then I think my decision will be to go with the better bottle for price, weight, etc.

I've never gone at my BB with a brush so I wouldn't know. To get the kraeusen that sticks near the neck I drop a clean washcloth into the carboy. Add a little water, turn it upside down and slosh it around. Clean as a whistle.

-Joe

Anyone actually had issues with scratching up better bottles when cleaning with a brush? If the answer is largely no then I think my decision will be to go with the better bottle for price, weight, etc.

I would never use a brush on my better bottles. I just soak with PBW solution and rinse. The are sparkling clear and clean.

Glass was never a choice for me. Lack of storage space and having numerous children and dogs means glass is always broken eventually.

I would never use a brush on my better bottles. I just soak with PBW solution and rinse. The are sparkling clear and clean.

Glass was never a choice for me. Lack of storage space and having numerous children and dogs means glass is always broken eventually.

When I was deciding on what type of basic HB kits I was going to get the better bottles sold me because I have 2 smaller children.... I figured the life expectancy of a glass bottle was not great LOL....

I GENTLY clean mine with a brush making sure not to scrape the metal end on my carboy..... never thought of using a clean washcloth as was posted here will try that for sure next time it needs cleaned!!!!!...

I seen a video on youtube with some guy dropping a BB off a 30-36 inch high table full of water and it just hit the deck and spilled didnt bust or break.... do that with a glass bottle :)

I love my better bottles that being said if I was doing a mead that was going to sit for a year in one I would prolly go with glass and put it away... even though the BB seem to be pretty resistant to O2 transferring I would still feel better about having it in glass

Sounds good.. better bottles it is. Now to decide ported versus non, I believe I will just get the non ported and rack as I usually do with an auto siphon. I can get alot more for the money too, seeing as how I was looking at a minimum of 4 and possibly 6 thats a good thing.

BTW, the thing that spawned this for me was a broken 6.5 G glass carboy. This may sound odd, but I ahve no idea what caused it. It actually cracked at the glass seam in the bottom corner. I has never been dropped, banged or anything else... not sure what happened. Thanks to the idea of using a rag with some cleaning solution I am sold on the Better Bottle. Thanks!!!

I have four carboys; the two glass ones that came with my kit, and two BBs that I purchased later. After using both- no contest, the Better Bottle wins hands down. I'm going to keep the glass carboys strictly for long-term secondaries, like the winter ale I'll be brewing shortly.

Sounds good.. better bottles it is. Now to decide ported versus non, I believe I will just get the non ported and rack as I usually do with an auto siphon. I can get alot more for the money too, seeing as how I was looking at a minimum of 4 and possibly 6 thats a good thing.

The problem with the ported bottles is cost... the valve doubles (at least) the cost of the bloody thing! I have a couple that I bought mainly out of curiosity, but in the future, I will get them without ports and siphon the old-fashioned way, as the beer gods intended. Their valves are nice and work well enough, but for the cost, I could buy a lot of stainless steel siphons and hose...

The problem with the ported bottles is cost... the valve doubles (at least) the cost of the bloody thing! I have a couple that I bought mainly out of curiosity, but in the future, I will get them without ports and siphon the old-fashioned way, as the beer gods intended. Their valves are nice and work well enough, but for the cost, I could buy a lot of stainless steel siphons and hose...

+100....

10chars

I have one glass and 4 BB. I try not to use the glass one. When I have to I pour from a bucket to the carboy with a funnel. I dont like moving it when its full. Cleaning is a snap I rinse the crud out then I just add 2 gallons of hot tap water with some oxyclean turn upside down in a sink full of water and its just like a water cooler the hot water and oxyclean sits on the Kraeusen ring and an hour later its spotless. No shaking no water shooting out under pressure from oxyclean foam.

Latest posts

Back