62-quart Igloo as MLT questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
I just picked up what (I hope is) a fantastic MLT option, the Igloo 62-quart cooler. Apparently they have them sometimes at Costco, but info on it is very sparse. (Not sure the Igloo website even lists it... weird). It was $40, I figure I can't really lose.

My main question is, do I even need to do a conversion (i.e. install a valve, the bazooka tube, etc etc?) or can I just rock a large grain bag and let it drain out through the hole at the bottom.

You can see that the drain hole which came with it is really low, so I don't think I'd be losing much liquid. For a 5-gallon batch, especially, can I just use a grain bag and let things drain off?

If I do need to convert it, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard. I'm doing to drop by the LHBS later and check with them too, but I wanted to consult the oracles here first.

Pics of the cooler:

MaxColdcoolerexterior.jpg

MaxColdcoolerinterior.jpg

If you can figure out a way to ensure the grain bag stays put from mash-in through sparge, and you can route the wort to your kettle without issues, there's probably no compelling reason to do much of anything...

Cheers!

I've mashed in a small round cooler before with a bag and it was a semi PITA to transfer the hot liquid back into the kettle. I'm keeping this setup because I do small 3 gal batches but if you want to do full mashes, I'd bite the bullet and convert to a regular mash tun.

I think for now my plan is to schlep the cooler onto a table (and eventually put together a brewing stand), and then just let it drain from the spout thing down into the kettle.

Also, a question on heat retention: I tested it out today, by putting in about 7 gallons of water at 165*F. I opened it once or twice to simulate brew-day process ( like, stirring and such). Over the course of an hour, it lost 5 degrees. Is that good for a cooler? Do I need to worry about it? Or can I just top it up with hotter water periodically?

I usually preheat my cooler by putting in hot water for a few minutes, dump that, and then do my mash. You also have to take into consideration that grain helps heat retention.

Jewbeard, how ya doing!?

I'd at least install a ball valve. What's it got now, one of those plastic valves you've got to push on? Why kill your thumb (probably going to get pretty damn hot, too). Ball valve's cheap, and you can leave it open while sparging.

I'm awesome, man! Just happy to be brewing regularly again.

As far as the ball valve, that's true, I've been worrying about the sparging issue. I'll pick up the ball valve tomorrow and see if I can get it in easy.

Do yourself a favor and use a CPVC, copper or woven satinless manifold of some sort. The grain will clog/pile/cause a serious mess otherwise.

If you want some photos, I can post them. Otherwise, there are a ton of photos on HBT.

Back