a few kettle questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I have two kegs ready for keggle conversion. One is a 1/2 barrel standard US keg with nothing done to it. The other is a Pilsner Urquell keg with some modifications.
My questions are about the Urquell keg: 1)The keg holds 12gal of H2O comfortably. Is this big enough for 10gal batches? I currently brew extract w/grains but plan on moving to partial mash this year and if I like that all-grain later. I've read that most keggles are 15gal. Is this size necessary for extract or partial mash brewing? This kettle was a gift from my brother-in-law and him and his buddy installed a 1.5 inch stainless threaded fitting in the bottom for a spigot 2)Can I get a reducer to make this work with standard spigot? Or would it be better to remove the fitting or plug it and just siphon? 3) I plan on selling one or the other to raise money for my IRS donation this year :mad: . Which should I keep? Thanks yall.

My first suggestion would be to skip a night out on the town and keep both.

I have all 15.5 gallon keggles and brew mostly 5 gallon batches. For these, I'd love to have a smaller keg like your Pilsner Urquell one. I think 15.5 gallon kegs are really only necessary for Higher Gravity 10 gallon batches or, obviously, 15 gallon batches.

I think you probably could go up to 10 gallons of a lower gravity beer in the PU keg, it'd just be close and you'd have to watch for boil overs. For 5 gallons of ANY type of beer, you'll have plenty of room.

If you kept both, you could use your PU keg for a long while and when you move to 10 gallon batches , you can make the 15.5 gallon keg your Brew Kettle and your PU keg your Mash Tun or Hot Liquor Tank.

Don't plug the hole, I'd either get a reducer or giant spigot, if there is such a thing. A spigot's convenience cannot be overlooked. In my opinion, it's more handy than a thermometer and a sightglass combined.

Hope this helps

good rule of thumb is boil kettle minimally needs to be about 25% larger than batch size ie. 5g batch 7.5g kettle, 10g batch 12.5 g kettle, most keggles are used for 10g batches

Steve the budget is pretty tight right now. Haven't been out in months. Although I like the idea of my smaller keg being an MLT later, is it harder to maintain temps in a keg MLT than a cooler? So from what I gather from you erik is that my PU kettle may be large enough for 10gal boils. I could fit another .5gal in there. 12gal left a little bit of room in the top to compensate for boil overs. Hawk-like attention and a spray bottle of water may be all I need to do 10 gal batches. I know the $20-$25 I can get from the 1/2 barrel doesn't seem like much but every little bit counts right now. Thanks again my HBT Bros!!:mug:

The smaller 12 gallon would work for extract\partial mash brews because you can still top up with water if you do a double batch.

If you go to grain brewing there is no rule that says you have to make 5 gallon batches as you can make 2-4gallon batches and have enough room for boiling. Recipes can be scaled to the size needed. The PU kettle was a present so you will need to decide if selling it would hurt some feelings.

I picked up two european kegs last summer, and converted 1 to a boil kettle. I did a couple 10g batches, and it was tight.

I have recently picked up a 15.5, and although I haven't brewed with it, put beside the UK keg, the extra head space is very exciting (that, and I now have three kegs for my brew stand!)

It sound like the IRS are looking for every penny, but you really shouldn't pass up on the US keg, or both for that matter. If you get rid of that keg for $25, you might find yourself looking for another one in 6 months, and paying twice as much.

I say we hold a HBT fundraiser. Can we get 25 - $1 donations so that you will keep that keg? To start things off, PM me an email address, and I'll Paypal you the first $5!

I don't think anyone should have to give up a great brewing vessel for $25.

Rhino

Rhino is Right on. It's gonna be a pain to find another US Gallon keg. It took me 2 months in Atlanta to find 3 kegs...I spent an average of $35 per keg.

As for your other question, I've never used a cooler as a mashtun, so I don't know how well they hold heat. Today it was 50 degrees outside and I had to rewarm my mash once, and did it again before batch sparging because I was stirring it again anyways.

My self-proclaimed "Brew Queen" read this thread over my shoulder and offered some ladylike advice "A True Brewmaster would find something non-homebrewing related to sell to keep the brewing alive." She wants to add that she's personally offended.

:drunk:

Rhino, although I'm moved by your self-less gesture I can not accept. I made the mess, I'll clean it up. Stevorino, I'm gonna keep em both. And as for your "Brew Queen" tell her I'm off to the plasma bank today because I just can't work that corner anymore!!;)

Ridge Runner said:
Rhino, although I'm moved by your self-less gesture I can not accept. I made the mess, I'll clean it up. Stevorino, I'm gonna keep em both. And as for your "Brew Queen" tell her I'm off to the plasma bank today because I just can't work that corner anymore!!;)

hahhahah, dude-- I had two roommates in college that did that as often as the hospital would let them for about a semester. Good times :mug:

She'll be proud of you for keeping both :cross:

If you want to use your PU keg for 10 gallon boils I'd say get some fermacap foam control stuff, that way you won't have boilovers. Keep the other keg as a HLT or a MLT (though I use a cooler for MLT and love it)

Back