Acerglyn - Maple Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooCelt

Reaction score
I just finished a batch of this without adding the oak spiral. I opted not to make it sparkling, and bottled it in flip top's. It had a very unique flavor at bottling which reminded me slightly of a sweet bourbon - you can really taste the alcohol. I'm hoping for it to mellow over the next few months. Apologies for not having the OG or FG to post with this. Will post image of bottled Mead soon!

Ingredients
5 gal water
10 lbs Wildflower Honey
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 packet Red Star Cote des Blancs Yeast
1 Medium Toast American Oak Spiral - (optional)
64 oz (1/2 Gal) Pure Maple Syrup
3/4 cup Corn Sugar (If you're wanting to make sparkling mead)

Directions
  • In a large brew pot, simmer 3 gallons of water to make integration of honey easier. (Just simmer...don't boil)
  • Remove pot from heat and add 10 lbs honey and 32 oz maple syrup and 3 tsp yeast nutrient. Stir until fully dissolved.
  • Rehydrate the yeast in a sanitized cup, and cover.
  • Add the must to a 6 gal primary fermenter along with 2 gal cold water. Aerate it, and pitch the yeast.
  • Seal fermentor with airlock and store in a dark place at a temperature of about 70 degrees.
  • After 3 days, add 1 tsp yeast nutrient and aerate do this again after another 3 days.
  • After another week, add the remaining 32 oz of maple syrup and aerate.
  • Wait another week, then with a siphon, re-rack the mead into a sanitized 5 gallon carboy. Add the Oak Spiral (optional)
  • After another 3 weeks, re-rack, then let age for 2 months.
  • Dissolve the corn sugar in 2 cup warm water, add to carboy, and stir lightly. (If you're wanting to make sparkling mead)
  • Fill sanitized bottles and let age for 4 months or more.

12901096_10208356599447579_2241986427217220245_o.jpg

When I made a batch, I noticed the maple syrup mostly just fermented and didn't leave much maple flavor. I added half an oak spiral in a 1 gal batch, and then stabilized and backsweetened with 12 oz of maple syrup. Came out real sweet and probably will only be drank as a dessert mead.

Forgot to mention I used bourbon barrel aged maple syrup both times, and the oak flavor comes through as a small aftertaste.

I haven’t brewed in several years, getting back into it. Going to give a simple Acerglyn a go. What is back sweetening exactly? Is that just adding more maple syrup after it’s already fermented? Thanks

Hi. Just started this a couple of days ago. How important is it to rack the mead (whether once or twice)? I'd really rather not, if possible.

Thanks!

Back