add sugar while in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRYLOK

Reaction score
Can you add more sugar to your beer while in the fermenter to to increase the alcohol content?

i was thinking about adding light brown sugar to see how it would taste. but i should boil it and not just dump it in right... Bröst!

I'd make a simple syrup, boil one part sugar to one part water, then let it cool completely in the fridge, then pour it in. Add a little at a time and taste so you don't oversweeten.

Definitely. Dissolve it in just enough water to get it all in. It can be a bit of a syrup and not cause a problem.

Fermenting beer holds a lot of CO2 in solution. If you dump dry sugar in you get the same effect as dropping Mentos in Diet Coke. While a beer fountain might be exciting, it's not what I'd like to do with my beer.

but... you might want to think further about this. Adding sugar will increase the alcohol, but that's not the end all be all of what you want from your beer, is it? If you just want a bunch of alcohol to get you hammered, why go to the trouble of brewing? Adding sugar will thin our your beer. It'll lose body and become more watery. If the recipe isn't built for it, it's usually not a good idea to just dump a bunch of sugar in to try to get a better high out of it.

i was thinking more along the lines of flavor... i Don't want to increase the alcohol content just the Flavor. I thought if it was done fermenting it wouldn't make any more alcohol. Sorry i should have specified... Bröst!

i was thinking more along the lines of flavor... i Don't want to increase the alcohol content just the Flavor. I thought if it was done fermenting it wouldn't make any more alcohol. Sorry i should have specified... Bröst!

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I thought you wanted to add more sugar to the beer in the fermenter to increase alcohol content when you said

Can you add more sugar to your beer while in the fermenter to to increase the alcohol content?

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. As for flavor... the yeast is finished fermenting because they used up all the sugar. If you add more sugar, the yeast will just ferment it and turn it into alcohol and CO2 again. If you want to sweeten your beer, you want to add an unfermentable sugar like lactose.

sorry to hi-jack but I have to ask... What is this "Bröst" that you speak of. Trusty Google keeps giving me the Swedish to English translation of "The female breasts"??? :confused:

Not that there's anything wrong with staying "boobs" after everything, if that's what you're saying...

not sure about brost, but prost is a generic european term meaning cheers. if you want to add sweetness to beer, you could either add lactose, as chshre says, or add in some simple syrup (either white or brown) into the keg and immediately refrigerate, and force carb. no way to do that with bottling and still carb it

I'm trying to get a german light with a sweet note without an overbearing alcohol flavor.

and as far as the (Bröst) if you want to call it boobs... thats cool.
I was going for the euro meaning for cheers so... Bröst!

I thought it was prost? or are boobs another form of cheers? I know boobs make me cheer.

I'm trying to get a german light with a sweet note without an overbearing alcohol flavor.

Definitely don't want to add sugar then. It won't make it sweeter and will make it more alcoholic. With something like that, it's better to plan for the sweetness when you come up with the recipe and add some crystal malts for that.

If it were me, I'd let it go the way it is and see how it tastes when it's carbed and conditioned, then adjust the recipe the next time you brew it.

Definitely don't want to add sugar then. It won't make it sweeter and will make it more alcoholic. With something like that, it's better to plan for the sweetness when you come up with the recipe and add some crystal malts for that.

If it were me, I'd let it go the way it is and see how it tastes when it's carbed and conditioned, then adjust the recipe the next time you brew it.

Good call. I was wanting to experiment a little... Bröst!

and as far as the (Bröst) if you want to call it boobs... thats cool.
I was going for the euro meaning for cheers so... Bröst!

Well, I'm not a huge fan of boobs. I mean, I'd like to keep mine but I don't think we need to Prost our brost, if you know what I mean.

However, I'm a fan of schlong. I don't see anybody doing any Schlong Songs, though. :D

i just like to say BOOBS!!

i will have to Brost more often when SWMBO and i brew together~

so BOOBS!!

Again, Krylok, I'm sorry to hi-jack. I was wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't add "boobs" to my every-growing list of toasts. But I guess I don't see anything wrong with saying "boobs" as a toast, and Yoop you could say "schlong".

So, Boobs! (Schlong!) :mug::mug:

Again, Krylok, I'm sorry to hi-jack. I was wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't add "boobs" to my every-growing list of toasts. But I guess I don't see anything wrong with saying "boobs" as a toast, and Yoop you could say "schlong".

So, Boobs! (Schlong!) :mug::mug:

Its all good Cheers Boobs... Prost:tank:

If we're translating Bröst to boobs. We might as well translate schlong correctly as well.

hint, it doesn't mean penis
(in it's original etymology anyway)

If we're translating Bröst to boobs. We might as well translate schlong correctly as well.

hint, it doesn't mean penis
(in it's original etymology anyway)

C'mon now, don't leave us hanging :D

Schlong is the English pronunciation and spelling of the German word, schlange (say it out loud with a soft "a" sound, [sh-long-a] not how you would in English). Much like how we spell and pronounce the German city of Köln as Cologne.

Schlange means snake or serpent in German by the way.

Schlong is the English pronunciation and spelling of the German word, schlange (say it out loud with a soft "a" sound, [sh-long-a] not how you would in English). Much like how we spell and pronounce the German city of Köln as Cologne.

Schlange means snake or serpent in German by the way.

Maybe one of those Yiddish carryovers into English? Like shmuck, shlep, oy vey etc.

And just to make sure we continue to stray very far from the OP, crazy to get etymology lessons from Gridley. Worked in the area for a few weeks some years back and didn't remember all that much going on. The rack of lamb at Pasquini's was great though...Boobs!

2bluewagons said:
And just to make sure we continue to stray very far from the OP, crazy to get etymology lessons from Gridley. Worked in the area for a few weeks some years back and didn't remember all that much going on. The rack of lamb at Pasquini's was great though...Boobs!
Wow, I'm surprised somebody actually knows Gridley! You're right, there isn't much going on here. At all...

What kind of work where you doing down here years ago?

Emissions testing at the gas compressor station to the west of town. Job takes me all kinds of places where there is not much going on...:D

I've also have hung out at Skaggs Island, not sure if that is what your ID is about...

My last name is Skaggs. I've thought about stealing one of the Skaggs Island signs before though.

I'm sick, so laughing hurts, and this was the most painful threads ever. Awesome!!!!

I wanted to be a part of it so.....

BOOBS!!!!

Latest posts

Back