Adding beano?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDay

Reaction score
Hi all.
So this will be my 5th brew. Still pretty new to this, and I need some voices of experience.
My girlfriend is starting a diet, and she's watching carbs (not really calories) and I want her to be able to enjoy my next brew with me. I've got a recipe for a cream ale, and I'm told that adding beano to it will lower the carbs significantly.
It was also suggested by the guy at the brewshop to leave the crystal grains out of the recipe.
This will leave me with just pale malt extract and hops. Will the blandness and beano result in a flavorless brew?
Should I just brew something straight up for me, and buy her some Amstel Light?
Or will a stripped down recipe plus beano still be enjoyable?

Adding beano is going to leave you with a very dry beer... like 0.999 dry. What's you're not necessarily cutting calories as alcohol is ripe with them. And as we know the more sugar is eaten... the drier the beer... the more alcohol... more calories.

Now this will kill the carbs, but I doubt how much better off you'll be. I would suggest going with just a small beer. Like passedpawn says, do a scottish 60 or a dark mild. I'm a big fan of milds as for such a small beer (O.G. in the 1.030s) you get a ton of flavor.

+1 on not adding Beano.

Beano will ferment your beer very, very dry and continues to eat away sugars to the detriment.

You're better off doing something like a session beer: Orfy's Mild Manner ale comes to mind. Biermuncher also has several nice session ales.

Latest posts

Back