Adding real blueberries to this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and her friend want to make some blueberry wine and this is what they picked out. Was wondering if adding some real blueberries with skins to the fermenter would be a bad or good idea.

Also the guy at my home brew shop accidentally Gave me Lalvin D47. The bottle recommends Lalvin K1V-1116. Or Red Star Montrachet. Can I carry on with what I got or see about swapping it out?

Thanks
Greg
20180921_141711.jpeg

Adding blueberries seems like a good idea.

D47 is a great yeast, you could definitely use that if you can ferment in the correct temperature range... But they're all inexpensive so if you wanted to get another yeast it's really no big deal depending on how close your LHBS is.

That is interesting. Maybe because the manufacture give the optimal fementation temperature and the chart shows a broader tolerance range? But they don't say where they got the data for that chart.

Thanks guys. I'll grab a couple packs of them so they can smash them up and Toss them in. I personally dont like the sweet wine (which Is what they want) so im having to stomach this process. Happy wife happy life.

it will be dry even adding blueberries. you will need t oback sweeten if you want it sweet

adding blueberries will just increase flavour, not sweetness

it will be dry even adding blueberries. you will need t oback sweeten if you want it sweet

adding blueberries will just increase flavour, not sweetness
Yeah I already planned on backsweeting. The blueberries was for experimenting/fun. And to give a differnt flavor.

Just what RPh Guy said. Save some of the original "juice." I just dip off 1-2 cups from the ferment bucket and put in a freezer container. If I don't use it to back sweeten, then I will just add it to a batch of mixed-berry wine later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back