Additional pitch or...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfish

Reaction score
Making a dobblebock and overshot my OG (1.107), went ahead a pitched (under) a pack of WLP830 (which I thought was WLP833) at around 63.

Temp continued to drop to mid-50's over the next 18 hours and with signs of fermentation, I then turned on the ferm chamber dropped and held at 52 for 2 weeks.

At that point (with 1.065 and thick krausen), I tried to whip in some additional oxygen (electric egg beater) and added in some yeast nutrients. Left temperature at 52 for 48 hours. Then raised to 62 for the next 4 days. Readings are now steady at 1.031.

I assume I am near the alcohol limit for the WLP830. Sample from hydrometer is very good, but sweet.

So should I stir everything up again, trying to squeeze a little more out of the yeast or should pitch a pack of S-05 or Danstar Munich Wheat.

I am also needing to clear room in the ferm chamber soon too (say 5-6 days). I can rack from the primary to the corny and lager in a refrigerator, if need be.

PS first lager and first time using ferm chamber. I could use some refining of the process for sure, haha.

Two calculators are giving me the same answer: expected FG of 1.027 with an ABV of 10.4%, which looks around 75% attenuation, a tad on the low side of dead center for that strain.

Frankly, with an underpitch that large, that's not too shabby.
And I doubt US-05 is going to move that much if at all.

If you're determined to shave a few more points off, I'd hit it with a dose of WLP099 at high krausen...

Cheers!

I believe it is way too sweet now (1.031).

FG was supposed to be 1.018. Of course, I way overshot the OG (1.085 vs 1.107).

S-05 and Danstar Munich Wheat are the only yeast I have (store is too far).

Back