Advice on how to enjoy homebrewing over the years without becoming an alcoholic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 844970
The toughest part of this sort of conversation is recognizing that the vast majority of us (active homebrewers) are in the top third of population for alcohol use, and it's nearly zero by comparison for the remaining two thirds.

So every conversation lumps an otherwise responsible 6-pack a day person with the twice divorced fella with a couple DUIs under their belt. Medically speaking, it's all the same.

manager school
Most line supervisors never went to any management school. Being good at a job doesn't mean being good at supervising those who do that job. Reading Dilbert and watching Office Space might be valuable to clueless bosses. Or maybe they can't be awakened from their dreams of power.

as long as you’re able to get up for work in the morning, your drinking is not getting you into fights or getting you arrested or landing you in the hospital, not interfering with your life, etc then you don’t have a problem
This is consistent with at least one definition of alcoholism. But, obviously...

Even if some of us can drink plenty without becoming addicted, we may be adversely affecting our health in exchange for the pleasure of drinking. alcoholic beverages. That is its own kind of problem.

As a guy who worked his way from the lowest level to the president of the company I learned this. If you ever wonder why your boss is such an a**hole become a boss and you will understand. The income doesn't necessarily match the stress. As the company president, dealing with 120 employees, the owners and countless clients made drinking too much the easiest path.

Last edited:
Man, I was hoping this thread would start addressing cheese addiction next.
Don't get me started on my cheese addiction. Tonight was a moderate night until I pulled the cheese plate out and was forced to open a bottle of wine more suitable for the cheese we had.

fark_E8DBXIWs5lRfIuk_C_MYUwue0y8.jpg

Office Space is not supposed to be a documentary.
The longer I spend in cube-farmdom, that movie becomes both funnier and more sad...

But to the question at hand, there is a lot more to alcoholism than just drinking a lot. Some folks can drink like fish and by those markers - having it affecting them in various ways - don't quaalify as such. THen others drink comparatively small amounts, but it's still affecting them. Of course, to other people, having one drink makes one a complete lush.
Myself, I enjoy a beer or 2 many evenings. I do normally hold off until the kiddo is in bed before opening one. But almost as often as not, by the time that happens, and dinner is done (I work a weird schedule - we're eating dinner most of the time after he's in bed) and things are cleaned up, I don't feel like going down to the beer fridge / cellar to get one.
Same thing with my homebrewing, I don't have a kegerator, so I limit it to one tapped at a time. I usually plan to have one on deck for when that one kicks, and it takes a while to knock off a full keg. I do have a couple recipes that I still bottle, though those are as much out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited:
The longer I spend in cube-farmdom, that movie becomes both funnier and more sad...

But to the question at hand, there is a lot more to alcoholism than just drinking a lot. Some folks can drink like fish and by those markers - having it affecting them in various ways - don't quaalify as such. THen others drink comparatively small amounts, but it's still affecting them. Of course, to other people, having one drink makes one a complete lush.
Myself, I enjoy a beer or 2 many evenings. I do normally hold off until the kiddo is in bed before opening one. But almost as often as not, by the time that happens, and dinner is done (I work a weird schedule - we're eating dinner most of the time after he's in bed) and things are cleaned up, I don't feel like going down to the beer fridge / cellar to get one.
Same thing with my homebrewing, I don't have a kegerator, so I limit it to one tapped at a time. I usually plab to have one on deck for when that one kicks, and it takes a while to knock off a full keg. I do have a couple recipes that I still bottle, though those are as much out of sight, out of mind.
When I first converted our fridge to a back porch kegerator I couldn't walk past it without pulling a small beer, at least for the first couple of months. After that I settled into a more suitable pattern of consumption-2 or 3 glasses each evening if it was just my wife and I. If friends or neighbors stopped by all bets were off. Now we live out in the woods, no neighbors nearby and no casual friends who drink beer so a keg will now last me a month or 2 easily. I do not miss the daily drinking sessions, life is much better spent drinking less.

Great thread and lots of good advice.
I used to drink quite badly around 20-30 years old while partying a lot.
Now days at 48 I don't like the feeling of being drunk but I sure like beer.

I quite recently started brewing so I'm drinking 1-2 beers most weekdays and Sometimes an extra 2-3 in weekends if partying.

But I give away half of my 20L batches and I like to finish drinking a batch before brewing a new one so there's always going to be 2-3 weeks without any beer.

But I recently came from a week in London where I had several beers every day and the first one Sometimes around noon. I am very aware of my consumptiin and it's not affecting my life in a negative way so no worries.

But I consciously take brakes from drinking 'cause I like that too.

Maybe I'm just lucky that I no longer like to feel drunk so that doesn't happen. I only like to feel a little tipsy.

Perhaps easy for me to say - at 67, my body can no longer tolerate even the occasional excesses of my younger self.
^THIS!^
I remember back in college how me and my buddies used to love Monday Night Football. When Hank started singing; we started popping the tops!!
By the time all the expert analysis was over and kickoff was imminent, we were popping #2. Started second quarter with #3. I usually took a break at halftime, and started off the second half with #4, which may or may not get completely finished.
Then I graduated; got married; got a job. Yeah, I tried that routine, but to no avail. First, I started falling asleep and missing the 4th quarter. Then, I would dose off in the third.
By the time we had a couple kids, I was lucky to see half-time. ☹️
I decided that if I wanted to see the end of the game, I would have to delay the startup of beer drinking. Of course, with the game being so late on the east coast, who wants to start drinking late on a Monday night???

I finally found the solution; I gave up watching football! 😆🤣

But seriously, as I have aged, it takes less and less to just put me out; not passed out drunk, just closing the eyes and gone. I like most of my beer (or wine) with meals (at home) these days.

I had a grandfather who had problems with alcohol when he was young. I had an uncle who died from alcoholism. I don’t want to push any limits, and keep it in my mind that if you play with fire there’s a chance you’re gonna get burned. Not something that I want to happen. I feel absolutely sure that I could do without alcohol altogether, but as long as I can control it, and it’s not controlling me, I plan to tread on, but carefully.

Self control is obviously the answer here. Without it, ALL advice is pointless. For those of you with self control, my advice is to brew 7% and higher ABV beers for the weekdays and 4-5% ABV beers for the weekends. The trick here is to limit yourself 1 high ABV beer per night on weekdays and 2-3 low ABV beers per day on weekends. One high ABV beer is enough to end the days stresses, get a fuzzy feeling, fall asleep effortlessly, and not have any ill effects come morning time. On the weekends, 2-3 lower ABV beers gives you some controlled social time nursing your craft while getting your buddies lit up with the high ABV beers.

I always told my kids when they started going to parties..."stay in control and NEVER be the entertainment"

Self control is obviously the answer here. Without it, ALL advice is pointless. For those of you with self control, my advice is to brew 7% and higher ABV beers for the weekdays and 4-5% ABV beers for the weekends. The trick here is to limit yourself 1 high ABV beer per night on weekdays and 2-3 low ABV beers per day on weekends.
A system I used for several years was to use a number system with the ABV. I picked a number, usually around 18. I could drink 3 6% beers, or 2 8%, as long as the number stayed around 18. It actually made me aware of how much alcohol I was drinking, not just how many beers. 8 years ago health issues forced me to abandon beer for several years, once I started drinking again I didn't drink much at all and abandoned my system.

A system I used for several years was to use a number system with the ABV. I picked a number, usually around 18. I could drink 3 6% beers, or 2 8%, as long as the number stayed around 18.
In the 80's was my first home brew from a kit. After realizing it took me a month to make 50 beers, I abandoned home brewing because the brewing couldn't keep up with the drinking. It wasn't until around 20 years later I took up home brewing again. This time I only drank my home brew so I savored each beer so I would never run out. It also allowed me to enjoy home brewing as a hobby and make beer all about quality vs quantity. I guess I can say homebrewing actually trained me to drink less.

In the 80's was my first home brew from a kit. After realizing it took me a month to make 50 beers, I abandoned home brewing because the brewing couldn't keep up with the drinking. It wasn't until around 20 years later I took up home brewing again. This time I only drank my home brew so I savored each beer so I would never run out. It also allowed me to enjoy home brewing as a hobby and make beer all about quality vs quantity. I guess I can say homebrewing actually trained me to drink less.
I went the opposite direction. I had 2 kegerators that held 6 kegs each,I normally had 10 very different beers on tap. I started brewing to get drunk, then spent a week in Belgium, which totally blew my mind. The next year we spent 2 weeks traveling across Germany drinking in small town breweries.I started refining my process, paying attention to techniques instead of recipes. I had lots of "friends" to hang with, and other brewers I learned from. So now I've brewed since my wife bought my first homebrew kit in 1992.

I went the opposite direction. I had 2 kegerators that held 6 kegs each,I normally had 10 very different beers on tap. I started brewing to get drunk, then spent a week in Belgium, which totally blew my mind. The next year we spent 2 weeks traveling across Germany drinking in small town breweries.I started refining my process, paying attention to techniques instead of recipes. I had lots of "friends" to hang with, and other brewers I learned from. So now I've brewed since my wife bought my first homebrew kit in 1992.
I feel like this was very much me as well, particularly the last 4 years since the bloody pandemic. And only in the last about year have I really been starting to notice that maybe it's not so good for me anymore. Pre-pandemic I used to ride my bike to work every single day, about 20-25 minutes each way, and not slow either. I rode all year in Iowa weather. Then pandemic hits and my built-in workout routine is gone. Continuing to eat and drink the same and bike less equals less than optimal health outcomes lol
Lately it's starting to surface as heart palpitations. This started shortly after I got covid in 2022, so I'm wondering if that's really what set it off. But it also seems worsened in the following days after a run of heavy drinking days. It's scary and I'm addressing it with my doctor. Makes me wonder if it was covid or just the amount I drink... I don't know if I have an intolerance for alcohol or what.

Lately it's starting to surface as heart palpitations. This started shortly after I got covid in 2022, so I'm wondering if that's really what set it off. But it also seems worsened in the following days after a run of heavy drinking days. It's scary and I'm addressing it with my doctor. Makes me wonder if it was covid or just the amount I drink... I don't know if I have an intolerance for alcohol or what.
The only drinks I ever heard giving palpitations are coffee and energy drinks...caffeine. I'd bet on the covid or even the damn shots. I read beer is very healthy like wine is, in moderation, but please don't take this as any advice for I am no doctor. If I live to 100 I will certainly credit beer, or at least my homebrew craft beer. I hope this is just a passing thing for you. My wife has palpitations from anxiety. Meds keep it at bay. I tried to get her on my one high ABV beer a night program to combat the anxiety but beer is not her thing.

Back