Age of Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTD

Reaction score
When do people consider the time a wine has started aging?

from the moment it goes to secondary at 1.00, a week later? or when its bottled.

I have some blueberry wine ive had sitting in secondary since 9/9/18, 2 months ago.

Should i consider this wine 2 months old? no sulfites added yet since still secondary.

Thanks

I tend to think in terms of how long since I started the wine (i.e. when I pitched the yeast) rather than how long it's aged. The time it spends in the secondary is kind of random, although fermentation is usually finished after about a month. The rest of the time is racking at intervals and waiting for it to be clear enough to bottle, which is subjective - and also depends on when I get around to doing it.

i put it in on the 9th september. it was nearly done. ive labeled the bottles Sep 18 seems like a good fit.

Agree with the others. I don't think there's much of a difference between when started and when finished fermenting, relative to how long the wine is probably going to age. I go by when it was started, but I think it's more important you just pick a convention and then stick to it so it's consistent over the many years you will be making and drinking your wines.

I'm usually 2 months between starting and bottling. And on my label I add both date started and date bottled. But I guess that when I think about how old a wine is I count from when I bottled. But to be honest, I've never really thought about it.

Back