Aging a stout in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 36 bottles of an American Imperial Stout that have been carbonating at 70* for a month. I plan to age 12 for a year and 12 for 2 years. It would be easest for me to box and store under my house where the temp would range from 63 winter nights to 85 summer days. Or I could store at fermenting temp 64 in a freezer but I'd prefer to have the option of using the freezer at other temps. BTW I live on O`ahu, Hawai`i. My house is built on posts and in the storage area is about 5 feer off the ground.

What do you think?

I would opt for a location with a steadier and more moderate temperature than the winter and summer extremes. Would it be possible to store the bottles in a water proof tote under ground in the storage area if there is no hard floor?

I would opt for a location with a steadier and more moderate temperature than the winter and summer extremes. Would it be possible to store the bottles in a water proof tote under ground in the storage area if there is no hard floor?
No can't dig. Most likely will use the freezer shelf for storage and the rest to ferment. This recipe took first place last year in local competition after one year storage at about 60*. This year's batch is about 10% ABV the late 2015 brew was 11%.

I _think_ you should be OK with those temps, I would definitely try to make sure most of the conditioning happens while the weather is cooler (ie, during the long hard cold Hawaiian winter <g>), but with an average max temp of 85 I think you'll be OK. As it looks like you already know, that's not a _fermenting_ temperature, but should be OK for conditioning.

In a South Texas garage that gets up to the 120s during the summertime? Not so much.... Don't ask me how I know this...

Back