All Grain Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLogue

Reaction score
After many years I am finally switching to All Grain. I have got my system 99% I just had a few questions I hope I could run past everyone.

If I am using an RO Water Filter system can I use an garden hose or do I need an marine hose?

What is the best way to position the hoses so that the pumps work best?

For some reason my Sparge Arm is only working on one side. It is a square PVC piping system and even when it is totally flat water only comes out of the holes on one side.

Any other technical suggestions for the operational end of my first all grain brew day? Such as how do I ensure all the liquid is one of the lines before I unhook the hoses. I don't want to burn myself.

1) I grew up drinking out of garden hoses. Never killed me. But - there are "food grade" hoses now.
2) What pump? Out should be up or right (if memory serves)
3) batch sparge :) ... or look for blockage.

Water from a regular hose won't hurt you(in the short term) but the taste is pretty nasty. Get an RV hose.
If you're using a March type pump, it should be below your kettle, with the output side facing down. Hook a ball valve to the output side of the pump to use for priming the pump-once fluid is moving shut the valve and the fluid goes where you want it to.
Batch sparging is easier.

Pump outlets should always face UP, not down. You want inlets to be able to 'burp' their air through the pump head and up and out the outlet. Pumps can't pump air bubbles downward very well at all....... Catching a prime relies on this.

Back