All this talk of Pumpkin Ale... Recipe Wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't bother to strain it. I used bags for all the hops and grains (which I usually don't do) just because I knew this one was going to be a mess.

When done, I just poured the entire contents, unstrained, into the primary. I added an extra gallon or so of water just in case. Came out at 1.052.

Hey- I have answers to both! Hooray!

1) It depends how much spiciness you like. Generally, it's safe (and a good idea) to spice so that it tastes a bit spicier than you like before you bottle/secondary it, because it will mellow and blend as it progresses. So, take it to about the level you want, then give it a small boost above that, and it should sit well against the hop bitterness (assuming you have a good backbone of hops in there).

2) Actually, don't strain it. Just give it time to get the sediment in a layer (a HUGE layer, but a layer nonetheless) and then rack it with the tip of your racking cane/autosiphon just above that sediment layer. You've got to hold it there. It's ugly and annoying, but it could be worse- and you will lose a good deal of volume to taht sediment, but that's what happens with pumpkin solids.

P funky said:
Hey- I have answers to both! Hooray!

1) It depends how much spiciness you like. Generally, it's safe (and a good idea) to spice so that it tastes a bit spicier than you like before you bottle/secondary it, because it will mellow and blend as it progresses. So, take it to about the level you want, then give it a small boost above that, and it should sit well against the hop bitterness (assuming you have a good backbone of hops in there).

2) Actually, don't strain it. Just give it time to get the sediment in a layer (a HUGE layer, but a layer nonetheless) and then rack it with the tip of your racking cane/autosiphon just above that sediment layer. You've got to hold it there. It's ugly and annoying, but it could be worse- and you will lose a good deal of volume to taht sediment, but that's what happens with pumpkin solids.

Yeah, I probably filtered out like 4 cups of gunk before I gave up. I anticipated losing volume from the solids, so I went a bit heavy on the water & malt.

So, um, considering that it's already fermenting as we speak, what do you think about adding spices to the secondary?

I used a grain bag for the pumpkin that I put into the boil. Much of the pumpkin leeched through the bag, but the bigger solids were contained. I didn't strain the wort as it went into the fermenter.

Evan! said:
So, um, considering that it's already fermenting as we speak, what do you think about adding spices to the secondary?

I say (as above), it's a good idea, especially if the spices seem faint to you now (because they will only get more subtle later).

You have two options- you can either chop up/grind up the spices and rack the ale onto them when it's time for secondary (essentially "dry-hopping" the spices), or you can brew up a spice tea (throw the spices in a couple of cups of water, boil for a few minutes, remove spices) and dump that "tea" into the secondary with the ale. This could also be done before bottling.

See my note re: level of spiciness to use as a guide. Enjoy! :mug:

Also: it looks pretty damned cloud right now. I know it will settle out, but do you recommend adding finings to secondary? I've never used finings before---do they have any negative effect on natural carbonation? Will they cause too much yeast to settle out?

Well, that is something you and I will discover together, my friend- mine is just freshly into secondary (as of yesterday), and I was thinking of hitting it with some isinglass.

I think (someone correct if I am wrong) that it won't really affect the end produce, aside from clarity, but I could be wrong. Next time, I should remember to do the irish moss in the boil.

P funky said:
Well, that is something you and I will discover together, my friend- mine is just freshly into secondary (as of yesterday), and I was thinking of hitting it with some isinglass.

I think (someone correct if I am wrong) that it won't really affect the end produce, aside from clarity, but I could be wrong. Next time, I should remember to do the irish moss in the boil.

I did use moss in the boil, but I'm afraid that it won't be enough. I ask because, as you know, I'm relatively new to this, and I don't have any finings onhand...and I'm putting together an AHS order as we speak.

Yeah, I say, try the isinglass. I've never used Moss before, I don't know how much of what you want it will accomplish.

By AHS you mean annapolis home brew? They are my boys! They got me started from their brick-and-mortar store.

Well, I cooked mine up this weekend.

May I was you you guys got for your OG readings? I topped mine off with water, up to the full 6.5gal (Knowing I am going to lose a lot). My OG was only 1.051, which sounds pretty good. I am just not sure how the pumpkin in there is effecting that reading. I can say, if the smell of the wort is any indication, this will be a great beer!

I am not sure if I want to post the recipe yet, as I have no idea if it will turn out well or not. If you guys are interested in what it, let me know, I can post it. But, I almost want to hold of, until I get to drink this, and make sure it is good.

Funky,

Austin Homebrew. $5.99 flat shipping. Key.

dewey: if there were still alot of solids suspended when you took your hydro readings, I'd say they may have affected it.

I figured it would effect it, I am not sure how much of it is fermentable (if any), etc.

Interesting enough, It doesn't seem to have that large of an effect. The calculations I did, showed I should have about a 1.054 OG reading, based on my grain bill, and extract, I ended up at 1.051.

I hit 1.055, here. It's been a week in the fermenter and it's still pretty cloudy. How long did it take for peoples' to clear?

Mine was 1.051, and it's down to 1.012 after only 3 days (pitched a fresh yeast cake from a previous brew). Mine's pretty clear already, but I'm using a really flocculant yeast (WL002 English Ale).

After 2.5 days in the fermenter, it's still cloudy as hell. I guess i'll leave it there till it clears and settles some...though, the fermentation is full-bore right now, so it's bound to be stirred up.

Evan,

Mine is on Day 4 now. Fermentation has slowed down. I have about 4" of pumpkin stuff at the bottom, it seems to be really settling out now. I image you will have less one yours, as you caught a bunch it with your funnel screen.

Just tapped the keg of my Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. Quite tasty, but the spices are just a tad strong. Hopefully they mellow with time. I bottled about half of it using the Blichmann Beer Gun. It worked very well. If there's not a product review for it, I'll post one and link to it here. Happy pumpkin season!

4688-thunderstruckontap.JPG

Back