Alright already, I got a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
Haha, never thought I would. But there it was and I wanted to make sure my kbs clone was done. Problem is I have no idea what to do with it or how to calculate anything. Guess Im glad to have some data. With the kbs, I wiggled the bucket at about ten days and again a few days later and was surprised at what I found. Of course in true applescrap fashion I floated it in the bucket. I think this says 1.01something. Chocolate floating on top as always with this beer. Also got new bag to help elminate poor filtering from cheap bag. Already feel kind of obligated to use it now that I have it. Nice knowing this beer attenuated so well. Other than this not entirely sure when or where to use it. Overall, glad to have a new brew toy.
Screenshot_2018-11-11-20-46-52.png

I use a refractometer for OG, but for any racking or bottling I take an Hydrometer reading. I use an hydrometer jar that takes about 6 ozs of beer. I find that in addition to the gravity reading,, I get a lot of information about the beer from drinking the hydrometer sample.

Occasionally I will take a sample from the fermenter. I use a Turkey baster to get the sample, and of course drink the sample.

Take the OG reading . Then I usually check on the 19 & 21st day for FG . If reading is same for those last few days it's done. Not sure if your asking how to read and apply it . If so this is how it works .
You take your OG , let's say it reads 1.050
Then your FG reads 1.010 .
OG - FG x 131.25 = 5.25 abv . Hope I explained it well if that's what you wanted .

Last edited:
Must not have kids running around the brewing area like I do. Haha. Like a wake is to a boat, breakage of important things is to daughter....

reminds of a broad i was dating a long time ago...her little boy got pissed at me and purposefully took my hydrometer and stomped on it!

And you're not in Jail? Not that a hydrometer is a huge loss but sounds like that kid needed needed some "guidance". Glad to hear she's an ex.

+1 never could understand why my drug counselor, fresh back from a south american vacation. would want me to date a heroin addict but she did!

Take the OG reading . Then I usually check on the 19 & 21st day for FG . If reading is same for those last few days it's done. Not sure if your asking how to read and apply it . If so this is how it works .
You take your OG , let's say it reads 1.050
Then your FG reads 1.010 .
OG - FG x 131.25 = 5.25 abv . Hope I explained it well if that's what you wanted .

Thanks! Appreciate the info, yes, both. Your birthday is the same as my daughter and same year as me. With the great formula as well, thanks.

wait a second 5.5k posts and you 'just now' got a hydrometer? lol, wait till you break it, and need a new one! someone in another thread said to buy two so they don't get lonely!
Haha, thus the thread and here we are. Had a few arguments over this ;) definitely insulted a couple times. That was one of my first thoughts, its not if its when I am going to break this.

After following some of your threads @applescrap, I thought I would never see the day.
I know, right. I feel dirty, like I need a shower or something, but now my inner beer dork wants to know. How much sugar did I squeeze out of you grains, wait this is getting weird. At least Im just plopping this in, no way I am pullling a sample. Am I going to have to live this down in 5k more posts? Well thanks for not losing to much faith in me.

Thanks! Appreciate the info, yes, both. Your birthday is the same as my daughter and same year as me. With the great formula as well, thanks.

Lol that's cool. And to make it more interesting I'm a huge Denver Bronco fan and I see your in Denver . :)

Must not have kids running around the brewing area like I do. Haha. Like a wake is to a boat, breakage of important things is to daughter....

Small kids and somewhat careless, but curious adults can be alike. I try to pigeonhole my stuff and keep it hidden from view if it's not in use. There's an amateur Bobby Flay-type in my house who likes to use things but can't seem to put them back ... steel measuring spoons, LCD thermopen, you name it.
He uses the Amazon Prime account to buy stuff for me, so sometimes it balances out. Wait until your Mini-me figures out how to use the card to buy stuff, then you'll be in another pickle.

Small kids and somewhat careless, but curious adults can be alike. I try to pigeonhole my stuff and keep it hidden from view if it's not in use. There's an amateur Bobby Flay-type in my house who likes to use things but can't seem to put them back ... steel measuring spoons, LCD thermopen, you name it.
He uses the Amazon Prime account to buy stuff for me, so sometimes it balances out. Wait until your Mini-me figures out how to use the card to buy stuff, then you'll be in another pickle.
True that.

Now you should get into SG readings during brew day. Haha. I like to take first runnings readings then another after sparging then another for the OG. I use a refractometer to do these readings then I switch to a hydrometer for the FG reading. I find if you know the SG at those key points on brew day you can easily brew the same beer the same way over and over again.

I realize that what I did, in foolishness no doubt, was bad in two ways. First, it connected me with people that I am not so sure that I want to be connected with. And second

I mistook not NEEDING a hydrometer with wanting one for other reasons. Surely, I don't need a hydrometer to brew. Yet, I am glad to have one. Like for abv. I think it does that obviously. But now I am curious about the gravity of the apple juice I am buying for cider. I am curious about partigirls, brut ipas, and different mash temps on abv for starters. Its nice to have some data, curious how much sugar exactly, am I out of the grain, squeezing.

I realize that what I did, in foolishness no doubt, was bad in two ways. First, it connected me with people that I am not so sure that I want to be connected with. And second

I mistook not NEEDING a hydrometer with wanting one for other reasons. Surely, I don't need a hydrometer to brew. Yet, I am glad to have one. Like for abv. I think it does that obviously. But now I am curious about the gravity of the apple juice I am buying for cider. I am curious about partigirls, brut ipas, and different mash temps on abv for starters. Its nice to have some data, curious how much sugar exactly, am I out of the grain, squeezing.
Hahaha!

You’ll break one because you said that

Already tried in the how many hydrometers have you broken this year thread.

Want to get a new one that only has a SG scale, because these are always showing me what i don't care about. either plato, or potential alcohol, never SG!

I know completly off topic but i have been wondering how i should be reading your user name. Should it be "apple scrap" or "apples crap" or something different.

Its both! I play jazz guitar and scrapple from the apple was of my favorite charlie parker tunes.

Seriously, though. It's about time you got that hydrometer.
It was one of the first things I convinced myself to get because it was useful and cheap. After thinking about buying a freezer, one fell in my lap. When someone I know sold their house, I got a 7 cubic ft, used, for free when they emptied the garage.
SCORE!
I usually wear a hat outside. Maybe I'll stop wearing a hat and an InkBird will fall out of the sky and hit me on the head.

Ah, the nostalgia I feel when reading all you folks just learning about the self-imposed spiraling path of walletectomies that define this hobby.

...but really.
A triple scale hydrometer can be one of the most common cheap tools you can get to improve your methods.
Lots of folks decide improving their process - and beer - means more gadgets and more expense, and if that works, that's fine.
Brewing beer is supposed to be fun and most of my enjoyment comes from the creative side, so a few expensive items here and there over time is OK as long as the beer turns out fine, or even great. If the time comes when I can create something out of nothing for free, I'll make sure to invite everyone over for some magic wine, bread, and fish sticks.

I'm surprised at times how people approach this hobby. I always come back to people get to make their own choices, whether I would make the same one or not.

I've always thought that measuring things helps one to understand the process, and to identify process errors that produce different outcomes.

But then, I'm trained as a scientist, and being able to measure things is primary to me. When I bought a Reverse Osmosis system from Buckeye Hydro, I also bought the Total Dissolved Solids meter to double-check the output. How could I not?

And a pH meter to check mash pH. And a really good digital thermometer. And a hydrometer. And a finish hydrometer with wider gradations. And a refractometer.

One thing that helped me a lot early-on was doing what @bobeer does, i.e., measure first runnings, second runnings, overall gravity, and so on. It really helped me make sense out of the process.

It's possible, I'm sure, to become so focused on measurements that one forgets the feel side of brewing. I do rely on feel, because I believe in the power of the subconscious to oversee things....but feel came from the measuring.

@applescrap I thought you took all the bashing from the forum over you lager fermentation temps, not because you didn't use a hydrometer? Or was it for both?

Anyway, I put my hydrometer directly in the FV also. I don't recall why this is not supposed to be a good idea.
My hydrometer is at least 15 years old (previous owner included).

I never use hyrdrometer in FV for a couple reasons; too many bubbles, always, block my already age-deteriorating eyesight; but mainly because Fate has a way of always catching me. If it can break and ruin all that time I spent, it will. I'm more of a mind to eliminate situations that might foster catastrophe. You know, like if you never allow your one yr old to crawl across the running table saw, you pretty much eliminate the worry over them getting cut when crawling on the running table saw.

Back