Alternative to brew belt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellyho

Reaction score
I like applying heat to my fermenters directly and am still mostly in the bucket mode of fermenting. Antediluvian, I know. I had been using a reptile tank heating mat happily until it died, letting my triple drop to 68 [emoji33].

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement that is cheap and well-made? Or do I just need to buy a brew belt?

i have a minifridge converted to a fermentation chamber, i use a reptile ceramic bulb to warm things up. just fermented a Kveik IPA at 90F with no problem at all. if you dont have a chamber a belt would probably be the best option, i have seen wraps to but never heard any reviews on them.
cheers

Yes just seen the ones i posted are a bit on the powerful side... I used 40w strips for my 12.5 gallon stainless conicals.

I use a 40W FermWrap.

That are completely fine to use on plastic, and powerful enough for any application for 5gal batches.

I got a fermwrap but it was a dud. No heat, even though it was getting 120 at the connectors. Hoping #2 works.

The best place to but the heat wrap is down low on the fermenters... If anyone is curious how the bigger jacketed conicals usually work, I recently found out as ive researched them and had to order some.
There are 2 different jacketed zones on them. the bottom jacket is over the conical cone and that is intended for heating and the top jacket is around the upper part... since heat rises the temps equalize in the wort/beer pretty well this way as it churns.

Yep, my ebay reptile tank heating mat worked really well. Wrap with some reflective pipe insulation and you're not even using much power. Not sure why it died. China! [emoji37]

Latest posts

Back