American 2 Row vs. U.K. 2 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to brew JZ's Evil Twin Home Brew recipe, but his recipe calls out for UK 2 Row. I have an overabundance of American 2 row on hand and would like to use it. I have never really worked with UK 2 row. Is there a discernible flavor difference between UK and American 2 row?

I have used both and have not seen much of a difference if any. Same with Marris Otter and 2-row, there are subtle differences but not much imho. And, if I'm not mistaken, maybe MO is UK 2-row...???

I want to brew JZ's Evil Twin Home Brew recipe, but his recipe calls out for UK 2 Row. I have an overabundance of American 2 row on hand and would like to use it. I have never really worked with UK 2 row. Is there a discernible flavor difference between UK and American 2 row?

Some people don't care and some can't taste the difference. YMMV. For my money the UK pale is richer, deeper, sweeter in flavor and all around better than domestic (North American). For an everyday analogy think a loaf of squishy white bread in a plastic bag at the mega-mart (domestic) and a loaf of crusty artisan bread from a nice bakery (UK). :mug:

BigEd said:
Some people don't care and some can't taste the difference. YMMV. For my money the UK pale is richer, deeper, sweeter in flavor and all around better than domestic (North American). For an everyday analogy think a loaf of squishy white bread in a plastic bag at the mega-mart (domestic) and a loaf of crusty artisan bread from a nice bakery (UK). :mug:

On a serious note I think the UK gets the nod but its no where near the difference in the analogy above. . That's more of a marris otter vs domestic 2 row comparison in my humble but always correct opinion.

There is a notable difference between the two and it becomes quite evident in simpler, less "Americanized" recipes. However, if you got a recipe jammed full of munich, crystal, and other character malts - on top of big hop character - differentiating between the two base malts would be quite difficult; especially for someone with no point of reference.

With that said, you cant go wrong with either choice of malt. The UK pale malt does has more flavor, although it might not seem like it the first few times you use it.

You can cheat and add some victory malt to the mash and get some of the English 2 row flavor.

Back