Amount of fruit to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
So I brewed a sour brown ale sunday, sour mashed 1/4 of the base grain, and added it to the main mash before lautering/sparging, the funky part smelled sort of like sour milk and feet, hope this works out.

In any case, it was a 10g batch split between two carboys, I was thinking of racking 1/2 onto cherries and 1/2 onto raspberries, but these are mostly out of season here in Colorado....so, I am going to use Oregon preserves. How much of each fruit should I use? The cans come in a 3# size, and are not cheap ($12-20)...but I would like them to come out sort of like a fruited oud bruin or a kriek...so fruit character should definitely be there...maybe 2 cans per 5g, 3 cans? What say you?

I can't help the conversion from Fresh/Frozen to preserves - but I was in the 0.75-1.0 pound per gallon range with frozen for a very distinct flavor.

Now, as to if preserves are either more, less, or just as potent per pound than fresh, I don't know. But that's the help I can give. ;)

I just added 4 pounds of real cherries to 5 gallons of dark saison and the fruit is slightly albeit noticeably "there." If using the Oregon cans, I would definitely shoot for 2 cans at the least. Sorry I can't offer any extra help.

Back