And everything was going so good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Brewed up a new recipe tonight, a Citra IPA. Everything was going swimmingly, hit my mash temp right on the money, no boil overs, it was just one of those great brew days.. and then.. the tubing on my immersion chiller blew off and started spewing water into my wort!!! FML!!! I had just replaced the tubing tonight, and apparently, due to my dumbassness, didn't quite get it tightened down good enough.. oh the nasty words that came forth from my lips.. oh well, guess we'll see what happens! (Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated... i.e. "Oh I've done that before, my beer turned out great!")

How hot was it? If it was early onin the cooling you are probably good. Actually, it will most likely be your best beer ever! Good luck duplicating it.

How hot was it? If it was early onin the cooling you are probably good. Actually, it will most likely be your best beer ever! Good luck duplicating it.

It was right after flame out. I turned on the water, walked back in the garage, noticed it and immediately went into freak out mode! Good point, maybe it was still hot enough to kill anything that MIGHT be bad!

I could be so lucky!! Note: add 1/2 gallon of hose water at flame out... Lol.

Bluelinebrewer said:
Haha! Thanks!

I know, that's what I keep telling myself. In reality, I'm sure it didn't do anything other than throw off my SG. But, it was expected to be 1.058, and actual was 1.054, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

I'm a bit too tipsy to do the math, but surely you would have had enough time to react to the situation in a way that would have prevented the amount of water required to lower the OG by 4 points from entering the wort...

I'm a bit too tipsy to do the math, but surely you would have had enough time to react to the situation in a way that would have prevented the amount of water required to lower the OG by 4 points from entering the wort...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attributing the water leak ENTIRELY to the low OG. My best guess is about 1/2 gallon.

If it was that early in the cooling process you will be fine.

It will be beer in due time.

(I'm a poet, I know it, I hope I don't blow it)

I had the same thing happen on my last brew. The beer (Hoegarrden Clone) turned out fine, just lowered my OG a tad, but no infection problems. If I remember correctly, I pumped about 1/2 gallon in there before I noticed it on my sight glass. The only problem I had was that I overflowed the keg when I was racking it at the end.

First post here for me! Just thought I would give a little advice being that I have had the same thing happen to me. Sometimes when the tubing warms up this can happen. I started out putting my IC in the boil for the last 10-15mins but found that its not as efficient as using star san. (the coil gets hot and now you have to cool it back down) anyway, when I did this I got leaks around tubing. I tightened my hose clamps up while everything was still hot and havent had any more problems. I also took soda bottles and cut the bottoms off, keeping the funnel shaped end and fed them through my tubing so If i have another leak this will act as a shroud and keep the water out of my brew. (the transition between copper and hose is where the bottles are)
I imagine your beer will be great anyway, but most brewers HATE when something unwanted ends up in their brew. Even plain ole water.

You have more beer now! Woo hoo!

I've actually done that before, but it was on the out tube and it shot out like a geyser, raining down on everything (when I used to brew indoors). It was quickly stopped and only a little extra water got into the wort and everything was fine. First and last time that happened!

I never did update this post... This beer actually took 1st out of 19 entries in a competition, and then took 2nd in another competition! Now I just have to re-create that water leak to brew it again! Lol

Back