Another FNG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photomask

Reaction score
FNG=Friggin' New Guy

I recently started brewing beer again after a 15 year hiatus. I used to brew back in the early 90s with a buddy while in the Air Force. Unfortunately, he was the one that knew how to do it and I was just helping and drinking beer.

A co-worker that knew about my fabrication skills approached me about building a rack for a brew-rig. He couldn't answer many of the questions I had, so I started doing research and I was hooked. I joined a local homebrewer's club and the first meeting is in January.

I'll be starting a brew-rig for myself in the next couple of months. I already have the kegs and a good selection of mild steel. I also have a large surplus of electrical components that I have scavenged off of equipment that was being, "decommissioned", at work....

FNG=Friggin' New Guy
I also have a large surplus of electrical components that I have scavenged off of equipment that was being, "decommissioned", at work....

nothing is better than a F-22 converted to a brew rig!:) i bet you, that you can boil 15g of water in 10 seconds flat, using those twin jet engines....

Welcome fellow Texan. Here's to many great beers in your future -:mug:
Thanks. Strangely enough I work in Round Rock...;)

nothing is better than a F-22 converted to a brew rig!:) i bet you, that you can boil 15g of water in 10 seconds flat, using those twin jet engines....
That would be an interesting concept, but I retired from the Air Force a decade ago. For the last ten years I've been working as process equipment maintenance & engineering at a photomask plant. (A photomask is the master that is used to produce semiconductor chips. Most people don't know that and neither did I until ten years ago.:eek:) On the side, I do custom metal fabrication and am geared for woodwork and plastics as well.

Welcome! You'll find the hobby has changed radically in 15 years. More suppliers, more yeasts, more specialty grains, nutcases with fully-automated half-barrel rigs:mug:, and last of all the Intertubes and HBT!

Welcome!
A lot of folks here have similar stories about brewing a while back and just getting back into it. Much has changed, and all for the better.

It's absolutely amazing how much more information, equipment and ingredients have become available in the last 15 years.

My middle daughter stopped by and brought me a HAZMAT Label to go on the brew-rig when I get it finished.:rockin:

HAZMAT Label.jpg

I don't recognize da' sig line... Semiconductor industry too?
No, trucking operations. Our company used to have a hot shot driver that picked up at Toppan and delivered to AMD and I used to dispatch it. Even did the late night run a few times myself when the driver was not available. (read already in his cups)

Back