Another Keg purchase thread, but different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
I contacted a local Brewery and asked to buy some dmaged kegs for building a rig, since I want to do it on the up and up.

I DO NOT WANT TO START A WHOLE CRAIGSLIST / GREY MARKET / DEPOSIT KEG THREAD.

Rather, since these things are not just laying abut, I wanted to know What do folks think is a fair market value to offer for three of them?

Thanks - I wanna do the right thing, and I do not want to cheat the guys - they do make great beer and are super nice- - but I'm on a budget and don't want to get scalped, either...

I think in some of the legal debates over kegs in the past the number 130 kept coming up. That's for a new one.

WOW - OK, thanks guys - Guy must really want to help a homebrewer out - he tossed aout a number well under that! Awesome!

for used, dented and dinged up kegs, i would hope they wouldn't charge you more than $25 or so, but i don't know what scrap value is for stainless, so i may be way off mark.

well seeing as your deposite from a store is $30-40 depending on where you buy your keg from I'd be willing to bet thats the price they are paying for kegs. maybe a bit higher new, but no way they are paying $125 a keg

-=Jason=-

Jason, that's incorrect. Do a search for the multitude of threads about it. The OP doesn't want to turn this into a grey market/deposit thread, so out of respect to him that's all I'll say on the subject.

Hannable, I'm glad you were able to find a keg on the up and up for a price you could get excited about. Sounds like everyone wins!

I don't know that 125 is that high for a brand new keg. You're talking about the big 15.5 gallon ones, right? A 40 dollar deposit is something they get every time they fill it, not just a one time thing. It's like going to a driving range and hitting golf balls. They get 10 bucks to borrow balls for 10 minutes. A keg deposit is something they get over and over and over, till it's too beat up to use anymore. I'd expect a keg to cost a lot more than just the deposit price, and probably a lot more than 125 bucks.

I don't know that 125 is that high for a brand new keg. You're talking about the big 15.5 gallon ones, right? A 40 dollar deposit is something they get every time they fill it, not just a one time thing. It's like going to a driving range and hitting golf balls. They get 10 bucks to borrow balls for 10 minutes. A keg deposit is something they get over and over and over, till it's too beat up to use anymore. I'd expect a keg to cost a lot more than just the deposit price, and probably a lot more than 125 bucks.

Pretty sure the deposit is refunded when you return the keg, thats what a deposit is to me anyway.

I requested a quote on brand new kegs a couple weeks ago. For a small volume (24) they were $136 each.

For old used kegs, I would say to jump on anything under $50. My opinion.

Here is how I bought my kegs. The guy I bought the 1st 3 from, bought his property and found 3 kegs buried in the backyard under some blackberry bushes. He told me that he took them to a locale distrubuter to get rid of them. The distrubuter would not take them and suggested that he sell them on craigslist. My win! The last keg I got was very much the same way. I was driving to work and saw something shiney by a house. On my way home from work, I stopped and saw a keg and knocked on the door and the guy who answered said he was a renter, just moved in, and that I can have the keg. My win again! I have tried to get kegs from a local distributer and struck out every single time. If you have ever had to pay a deposit on a pallet, lost the receipt, and tried to just leave the pallet at where you got materials from (not even caring about the money).....then you know what I'm talking about. Pallets burn very quickly though.

Haha, I thought drunk facebooking was bad. Guess drunk HBTing is worse.

Huh? what? When I have got a keg, I paid the deposit, drunk the beer, took the keg back, got the deposit back. The deposit is security that you will bring the keg back, if you don't you forfeit the deposit.

Jason, that's incorrect. Do a search for the multitude of threads about it. The OP doesn't want to turn this into a grey market/deposit thread, so out of respect to him that's all I'll say on the subject.

Hannable, I'm glad you were able to find a keg on the up and up for a price you could get excited about. Sounds like everyone wins!

sorry was just comparing the price of a new Sabco keg at $125. I mean thats a brand new keg your buying correct? I figured a deposit would at least be enough to cover loss or theft. hence why I said a new keg being sold to a vendor or brewery should cost a lot less.

I am in the sales business i know what i pay for parts and what I sell to contractors for and what I sell to the average home owner who just walks in. there is a BIG difference in price.

average home owner is paying roughly 30% markup. I mean every where hardware store, electronics, etc etc unless you can buy for distributor cost your paying to much.

sorry end of rant....

-=Jason=-

A new (or even used) keg costs much more than the deposit that is paid. A small craft brewery can't charge whatever it likes for a deposit... it has to keep the deposit comparable to and competitive with the deposits charged by Bud/Miller/Coors. These larger breweries have the luxury of keeping keg deposits low, because bottled beer makes up a larger percentage of their sells. Smaller breweries are hurt more by keg theft because they generally depend more on draft sells. Also, more often than not, the brewery never sees the keg deposit money... that goes to the distributor or retailer.

For disclosure, I was quoted $60 each, for three kegs, total $180.

( Looks like that single tier is getting off the plans and into reality during my 12 day Christmas vacation :) )

Hannable thats great $60 is cheaper than the $125 plus shipping from SABCO. you have done well.

Happy Brewing.

-=Jason=-

Back