Anybody reusing the vodka in their airlocks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
...as in pouring airlocks full of cheapo vodka back into the bottle for reuse. I've done this off and on for some time, but I wonder if the vodka loses its potency over time. Perhaps airlock bubbling hastens evaporation of the ethanol fraction from the airlock, leaving a higher concentration of water behind? I've certainly had airlocks evaporate on me, but I'm not willing to taste them side-by-side with the bottle to determine a loss of potency -- yuck! Any insight on this?

(I posted this in equipment too, not sure where to stick it).

Reusing a 13 dollar 1.75L bottle of vodka? Me thinks it isn't worth it.

I thought the whole point of using vodka for your airlock was that you got to drink it after the fermentation was done!

I thought the whole point of using vodka for your airlock was that you got to drink it after the fermentation was done!

Ugh not this guy. I've done way to many stupid things while drinking vodka so it's not allowed in my house lol.

Yeesh, a whole lot of not answering the OP's question...

I also use StarSan, but I'm sure you already knew many people do and that's not useful to you to know that I do too, I imagine. So will vodka lose its potency? Well, any alcohol not in a sealed container will gradually evaporate away -- makers of single malt scotch and other long-aged spirits have to account for this and it adds to their cost -- but the rate is pretty slow. I think it is <10% per year, IIRC. I think you are fine to reuse it multiple times, though I wouldn't do it indefinitely.

I've used plain water for the past 6 years and have never had a spoiled batch. Sounds like a waste of time and money.

I use vodka on my lagers and starsan on my ales. Nothing worse than a frozen airlock aka carboy bomb fuse.

And to the OP question, I would reuse for this purpose only.

You may be fine in reusing the vodka. But, assuming that every now and then you get some wort overflow into your airlock (and vodka), why pour it back in given that it's so cheap?

Yeah so the ethanol evaporates fairly quickly. Especially when it's bubbling constantly. I used to use vodka and I actually changed it about every week.

Back