Anyone filter from conical to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just listened to the Brulosophy experiment using a plate filter verses non filter and was really impressed with the clarity of the filtered beer verses unfiltered beer. Is it possible to install and use a plate filter when racking from my conical going to the keg?

I don’t like the idea of using two kegs and like to be able to filter straight from conical if possible.

Yup. Not all my brews but some of them. If i'm entering it in a competition or maybe using a low flocculating yeast and I get impatient or thirsty.

I have a couple fermentasaurus (fermentasaouri?) with the pressure transfer ball and line decanting gizmo. When it's time to keg, I hook up a filter between the fermenter and the keg and let-r-rip from one to the other (wait, not like rip, it's a bit slower when filtering, lol). Super simple. Bonus: You won't oxidize the beer during the transfer.

I have used gelatin but looking at the pics from this experiment the plate filter works a lot better.

IMG_4792.JPG

Home brew filters don't "polish" beer as well as you would think they would. Commercial setups have multiple layers of compressed filters and use a lot more pressure to force it through a much tighter overall filter. Personally, I think plate filters work better than tube water filter canister style. For best results use 1 micron or smaller filters.

Or do the gelatin thing and wait. Or both.

Finally a Brülosophy result we can all agree on! Filtration does not improve beer, it only makes it look prettier.

Latest posts

Back