Apple juice with potassium sorbate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to make a batch of apple cider, but I'm confused. The juice I'm looking at contains potassium sorbate.

I've read that potassium sorbate will stop all fermentation, and I have read that as long as you make a nice big starter, potassium sorbate will not prevent good fermentation.

Which is true?

:confused:

I just did a batch that contained potassium sorbate and i had to use a huge starter... I used some washed nottingham and stepped it up twice.... Took a bit bit it took off.... I used cider also

There are plenty of juices out there which do not include potassium sorbate. Why not simply use one of them and have normal yeast activity?

I avoid sorbate & benzoate like the plague. They both taste like crap & stress the yeast. Why would you want to use juice that has that stuff in it?
Regards, GF.

I found a good source of juice with no preservatives. Going to try to start the batch in a day or two.

:mug:

I found a good source of juice with no preservatives. Going to try to start the batch in a day or two.

:mug:

I get mine from a special store that has a selection of preservative-free apple juices to choose from --------- Walmart. :D

I have used cider that listed "<1% potassium sorbate" on the label. I was skeptical but didn't want to be a jerk to my friend that brought me the cider. Turns out fermentation took a bit longer but it tastes great. I added two 16oz cans of concentrate to 5 gal of the aforementioned cider plus one packet of dehydrated US-05 that I rehydrated in 2/3 cup 90 deg F water.

As I wanted to stop short of completely dry, the slower fermentation worked for me. Took about one week to go from a 1.055 to 1.010. And now tastes really good.

Given the choice, however, I'd prefer fresh pasteurized cider with no chemicals.

I wouldn't use it. You may still get a fermentation, but quality will be affected, including potential stalled fermentation.

After tracking down juice WITHOUT Potassium Sorbate, I just bought some...Potassium Sorbate.

I want to back sweeten the cider in the keg.

After tracking down juice WITHOUT Potassium Sorbate, I just bought some...Potassium Sorbate.

I want to back sweeten the cider in the keg.

Look into using the sorbate in conjunction with potassium metabisulfide (Campden) to prevent yeast reproduction in the keg.

I started a cider with K sorbate and only noticed when I was putting the juice in the fermenter. I went ahead with it and it is going... but rrreeeeaaalllly slow!

It's been about 2 months; the gravity is down in the 40s (from 60) and still bubbling away. I'll let it go as long as there is yeast activity on the surface and bubbles in the airlock.

I have used cider that listed "<1% potassium sorbate" on the label. I was skeptical but didn't want to be a jerk to my friend that brought me the cider. Turns out fermentation took a bit longer but it tastes great. I added two 16oz cans of concentrate to 5 gal of the aforementioned cider plus one packet of dehydrated US-05 that I rehydrated in 2/3 cup 90 deg F water.

As I wanted to stop short of completely dry, the slower fermentation worked for me. Took about one week to go from a 1.055 to 1.010. And now tastes really good.

Given the choice, however, I'd prefer fresh pasteurized cider with no chemicals.

After writing this, I figured I'd save a few cents and try cider with less yeast nutrient. I used the same "<.1% potassium sorbate" cider that I used in the past. The previous three batches with K sorbate fermented rapidly, but this one with much less than the 1 tsp per gallon nutrient addition is very very slow. The previous batches fermented close to dry in a week. This batch is working on three weeks and still has a way to go.

Don't know if this is due to the lack of nutrient or some other change, but thought I'd publish what I found.

Back