Back to using bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I would try dry hopping with out a bag or commando as some call it. I've always brewed with the process of no bag in kettle but bagged in fermenter. I've had the ability to cold crash but never really tried doing it .

So my process was 7 days after pitching I did a yeast dump . It was ok , nothing special. On day 15 , I dry hopped using 4.5 oz of hops . 3 days later I dropped the temp to 38. It held at that temp for almost 3 days . So I decided to do another dump to see if could get all the crud out . It worked , sort of and I got a lot of hop sludge and beer then it just stopped. The valve was all the way open with 10psi in the fermenter and nothing!

Now I preceded to do a closed pressure transfer . Hooked everything up , not 2 seconds into it a bunch of hop material plugged the connectors . I disconnected it cleaned it out it flowed for a bit then plug right back up . Needless to say this was the longest it's ever taken me to keg. It almost seemed as long as bottling.

When all said and done there was so much floating hop material towards the end of the transfer I ended up about 1/4 of a keg short . I cant tell you the exact but it wasnt totally full. So when I cleaned up this is what I got . My dump valve was so compacted I had to dig it out . I dont know if you can see the beer at the bottom but it was full of hop material. Washing muslin bags that contain hops is a pain , but I'd rather get kicked in the nuts then go through this again .
20200603_185746.jpg20200603_185733.jpg

You can build this from amazon and vac motion for about $45. You want the red screen for hoppy beers.

Using these and the racking arm at 3 or 9 o’clock dumping often isn’t even necessary.

Attachments

• 097BEDF4-D4E2-4A27-A3A0-A71AF3B4368D.jpeg
    097BEDF4-D4E2-4A27-A3A0-A71AF3B4368D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 6CBDD0C2-1C7C-4595-BC43-AA00E5EA4B3C.jpeg
    6CBDD0C2-1C7C-4595-BC43-AA00E5EA4B3C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
It will depend on the beer when I taste it . If it's not much better then my normal IPA then it's just easier to bag . If it's way better then I will adjust . Thanks for the pics

Back