Bad Judgment Ale - Swollen Extract Can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldandbitter

Reaction score
*DISCLAIMER* I am on occasion an idiot. IF you decide to stupidly brew with unknown materials and end up sick or dead because you tried it, I now advise against it. So there.

I did the research and tried it anyways, I brewed a 6 gallon batch with a swollen can of what was supposed to be a light extract from a can of free (got it from a guy who sold me 2 cornies) John Bull "light" malt extract. Came in a 3.5# can, which was slightly swollen. I could still push in the can, and there was a little surface rust, but no leaks or rust in the product.

Upon opening, I was greeted by a very dark almost tar-like substance and the distinct aroma of molasses. I decided to give it a shot, and after extensive research, decided the best thing to do was have a lab friend test it for me. No Botulo-toxins or any nasties, just a very confused me. I figured a good long boil would help and it was dark anyways-so what the hell. Brew day was fun as always, I opened the can the night before and poured it into a glass bowl to see if it foamed or some other strange phenomenon, and so no such issues. There was a little foam, but nothing you don't get when pouring a highly viscous liquid.

I used my Pale Ale recipe, not knowing about the color when I got my ingredients together, did a partial mash with a few pounds of pale malt and simply added a little honey, biscuit and caramel 60. I did a standard 60-min boil and added the LME at 40 minutes in. I used Summit bittering, mt. Hood flavor, and only a 1/4 oz cascade aroma since I knew this was going to be weird.

I got a normal ferment at 64 degrees for three weeks. Bottled, primed, and waited. The result was also checked out for icky things, and other than a few weird expressions at the flavor, nothing dangerous was present.

Finally, my long winded self has progressed to the giving it a shot.
This beer was nicely bitter, surprisingly smooth drinking with a harsh aftertaste and very filling. The aroma was very strongly overpowered by molasses whish was accentuated by a friend as mole-a$$es due to the weirdness. I actually enjoyed it after a cold age period of about 6 weeks. The head is very persistent and the beer goes rather well with pizza or anything else that has high acidity and stronger flavored sauces.

I have seen several folks ask about old or swollen extract cans and their use. I would still advise against it, particularly due to most of us brewing beer to be GOOD rather than just tolerable drunkinator liquid. My experiment was fun, and im actually down to my last 1L flip top and 2 capped bottles. I will not be doing this again, and I plan to make a nice HIPA soon to make this up to myself and friends. Here's to stupid ideas, bad judgment and great stories... Cheers!

Thanks for the input. Could be fun, but as you didn't say it was "good beer", I'll take the three 12 year old swollen cans of light malt and follow the "if in doubt, toss it out" rule.

Back