BCS not turning off elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cross posted from the BCS forums, but I figure there is more traffic here...

Hi everyone.

So I'm new to the BCS, running the latest 4.0.1 code. I thought the programming would be easy for me, but I'm having problems doing a simple process to heat my HLT.

My panel is wired up, using 3 way switches for my elements Auto / Off / On. On and Off work as expected. Auto isn't working how I thought it should.

I've setup a process for heating, but it never seems to stop heating, just keeps on going like it's in 100% Duty Cycle mode.

State 0 just waits for me to hit a button to signal that i'm ready to go, and that the elements are submerged in water. Pushing the Button works, it enters state 1, elements start to fire.
State 1 I set to control my two outputs, in PID mode, with a setpoint, say 100* F. I was assuming that in PID mode, the BCS would see that the probe is at 100, and turn the elements off, but this isn't happening.

I then tried manual mode, clicking the two outputs for my elements, they fire up. clicking the button again the green light goes off on the BCS, but the light on my panel tells me the elements still are getting 220. If i flip the switch to off, then back to Auto, the element stops firing and remains off.

I'm guessing that the problem is, somehow the relay is still getting 5V and sending power to the contactor - but my question is how/why?

Do you have a wiring diagram that you could share? This line has me curious "somehow the relay is still getting 5V and sending power to the contactor." Have you used a multi-meter to check if the SSR is getting 5V?

Just for clarity, is your problem related to the programmed logic (the software is not disabling the 5V element output) or is it related to the hardware side (continuous power at the element even though the BCS has stopped sending 5V)?

I will work on a diagram to share for future questions, but I think I'll just need to reach out to brewers hardware as this seems to be a hardware issue with my BCS. I checked the voltage on the BCS462 and using manual control, even outputs not connected to anything never lose their voltage.

so interestingly enough, i connected my BCS460 to see if it had the same issue. The 462 has 7V on the outputs, not 5V. And the 462 doesn't turn off the voltage when i use manual control. The 460 is at 5V and turns off the voltage as it should. Guess my problem is the BCS, not my wiring. Should've checked my voltages before posting I suppose...thanks guys.

Back