Beer Bug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesgalaxy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes. Santa (my wife) got me a Beer bug for Christmas. I saw this at NHC and didn't really think i needed something like this, but, I have to admit it's pretty cool. On tuesday the 26th, I brewed and attached the beerbug to my fermenter. After a little getting to know you period, and some basic tweaking, it works pretty well. I find myself going to the website and checking the progress of the ferm regularly. It's interesting to see near real time what's happening in the fermenter. Has anyone else used one of these ? What is your experience with the beerbug.

PS. Happy New Year everyone.

Been mildly interested in them, but read some negative reviews early on. Keep us posted on how yours works.

I have one and like it. I find it very convienent to be able to check on the fermentation from my computer or phone when ever I want. I also have the temperature probe in a thermowell so I can also monitor the temperature of the beer. Once it is set up (with a blow-off tube), I almost never open the fermentation chamber. My son that lives in Seattle was home (North Carolina) over the Christmas holiday and helped with a brew. He has been able to check the progress from Seattle. Can you brew good beer without it? Certainly! However, I love the convenience of monitoring temp, specific gravity, and ABV as many times as I want without pulling a sample. It is not cheap but does perform as advertised. I have also gotten quick responses when I submitted questions. It was worth the price to me. You are the only one that can answer that question for yourself. Attached is a screen shot of last fermentation. Beersmith projected the final SG to be 1.018
Regards,
Phil

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 6.45.58 PM.jpg

I have one and like it. I find it very convienent to be able to check on the fermentation from my computer or phone when ever I want. I also have the temperature probe in a thermowell so I can also monitor the temperature of the beer. Once it is set up (with a blow-off tube), I almost never open the fermentation chamber. My son that lives in Seattle was home (North Carolina) over the Christmas holiday and helped with a brew. He has been able to check the progress from Seattle. Can you brew good beer without it? Certainly! However, I love the convenience of monitoring temp, specific gravity, and ABV as many times as I want without pulling a sample. It is not cheap but does perform as advertised. I have also gotten quick responses when I submitted questions. It was worth the price to me. You are the only one that can answer that question for yourself. Attached is a screen shot of last fermentation. Beersmith projected the final SG to be 1.018
Regards,
Phil

That's cool. Is it designed as a single fermenter device, or can it monitor multiple fermenters at the same time?

Looks really neat. Website and vendors are asking $199 for it now though. Wonder how long the sensors last before needing to be replaced and how easy it is to clean....

I had mine for a year and it still is working just fine. Clean up is easy. I use the blow off tube so nothing gets in the working area of the Beer Bug. I just throw the torpedo/float and blow off tube in the fermentor when soaking with PBW rinse and I am ready for the the next brew. The Beer Bug web site is pretty comprehensive on operation an maintenance.

I thought you might also be interested in the charge. The charge will last for two weeks. However, this is dependent on the frequency of sampling. As I sample frequently, I generally sample ever 20 minutes for the active phase of fermentation and then adjust the sampling rate to every hour. If the power gets lower than I like, I use a portable charger that I use for my phone to charge the Beer Bug. I have only had to do this once.

I should state that I am in no way afilliated or have any relationship (professionally or socially) with Beer Bug.

I've been using mine for a week now, and I really like it. And for all the reasons you state Milkstout. I had some issues with my blowoff tube. The bucket was too far away. It would read no change in gravity and then it would drop 3pts, and then go back to no reading. We determined it was the c02 buildup in the fermenter pushing against the metal tab the torpedo was attached to. When it had enough pressure it would burp into the bucket and give the right reading. So i ditched the tube and put on a bubbler. End of problem.

Screenshot from 2016-01-04 17:00:06.jpg

Ok,the beer has stopped fermenting at 1.012. Now come the real test, I'm cold crashing it tonight in an upright freezer without opening the fermenter so I'm not removing the beerbug.
I'll see if it survives the cold.

Do not be too surprised that it turned off if the battery is starting to get low on charge with the cold temp.

I am with the others I like using the beer bug just to know where the fermentation is at and not take 12 samples just to find out.

Back