Beginner Wine Should I oxygenate my must?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncB

Reaction score
Hi Novice winemaker but made a lot of beer. Just a winexpert kit for Pinot Grigio, recently have acquired O2 cylinder and means to oxygenate my beer wort. Just about to make this kit and wonder should I oxygenate prior to adding the yeast?
thanks.

I would, yes, if you have it. I know some modern beer yeasts state that oxygenating isn't required, and I haven't oxygenated in years, but wine is a different story. Wine lacks the nutrients yeast requires which occurs naturally in wort, and yeast is typically under more stress. People also tend to underpitch with most wines (like with Lagers).

So I'd say yes. A 5-minute burst of O2 through an airstone will do the must a lot of good. It's the first and the last time you want it exposed to O2.

No yeast needs the stress. The correct pitch rate is quite important in wines, or you'll have a batch that ferments for a looooong time, or stops short, or something like that. If you can, make a starter. Can never hurt.

Strange isn't it, beer is all don't stress the yeast, oxygenate, starter, nutrients, unless it's kveik and it's underpitch feed, and oxygen. Last wine kit I did now tested and tastes pretty good, weird as one packet of dry yeast sprinkled on 25 litres of 1.095 beer would not be in my recommendation at all.
I'll build a starter ( with what ? ) for the wine and then oxygenate and pitch.

Back