Witbier Belgian Wit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettdow00

Reaction score
I’ve brewed 2 batches of witbier now. The first turned out awful and dumped it. The second time around I bought the wit all grain kit from tx brewing. It turned out better but still had some off flavors. First the smell was god awful. I’ve read where sulphur or something can affect that. The smell did get better after a couple of weeks, but I noticed when I dumped the remaining part of the keg, there was quite a bit of yeast in the bottom. I know these beers typically have some yeast settling in them, but it seemed like quite a bit. I’m wondering if since I didn’t cut the dip tube if it was picking up too much yeast and causing some off flavors? Does anyone have a good recipe they could recommend? I’m a big fan of the namaste white and white rascal. Thanks in advance

I made my first Wit this year based on the Brewing Classic Styles recipe and it turned out great.

Mostly I lowered the raw wheat content to avoid a stuck mash.

I heard you can get sulphur with some of the wit yeasts, but I used 3944, and didn't get any.

Yeast in suspension does have a flavor, but it is sort of expected. What does it taste like? What was your fermentation temperature? Did it start right away?

I used

5.5# Pils
3# raw wheat
1# Vienna

30g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @60min

10g Indian Coriander seed @5min
Zest of 3 cara cara oranges @5min

Mashed
15min @113
45min@152

Wyeast 3944

Last edited:
It fermented around 68-70. I can’t really describe the taste. My second try wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. It was almost like the yeast put off a hefe taste. The second time I used mangrove jacks yeast but will try the recipe above. Thanks!

Typical wisdom is that lower temperatures produce more phenols (clove / spice) while higher temperatures produce more esters (banana / fruit). That is an oversimplification, because there are more factors that contribute (pitch rate, yeast viability, oxygen, etc.) I fermented at 66.

What does your yeast-handling look like? Are you doing starters? How long did it take your fermentation to start?

Back