Berliner Weisse and Gose from same mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking since the mash is so small for the BW, that maybe I could get both beers from the same, and just dilute to the OG that I want.

Anyone else done this?

Ok, I did this.. but I have a problem.

I brewed a Gose and Berliner Weisse from the same mash, the only difference is the Gose got a 15 min. boil with salt and coriander, and the BW was no-boil and got diluted to a smaller OG with water.

I pitched a homemade lacto culture in both, and the Gose took off within a day.. but after 3 days the BW has done nothing. I'm worried about other bugs taking over before the Lacto has a chance to start. What should I do?

have you kept the Lacto portion hot? It'll work best around 100*. I use two brewbelts wrapped on the carboy to keep it warm.

Unfortunately the BW developed a Pellicle at 4 days, I'm assuming it's not Lacto, although it did smell like the Gose with lacto. It didn't smell solventy, so it might be something good.

I pitched the Kolsch just for kicks, and it's ripping away as we speak.

Back