BIAB Converstion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrews824

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

Hope all is well.

So, I'm about to move to BIAB from Extract. This question may have been asked before or be in another thread so forgive me. If you could point me to the thread that would be great.

My question is.... If I want to move from 5 gallon total finished volume to 3 gallon do I convert the grain/grist bill? For example: 10 lbs./5 gallon batch to 6 lbs./3 gallon batch.

If so, is it the same for the hops or any other additive?

Thanks so much,
Scott

Yes, everything scales just like you would imagine except for the time required for the mash and the boil off which is a constant, not a ratio.

The time required for the mash depends on the quality of the crush with a coarser crush taking more time.

Boil off is a function of the amount of heat you apply to keep the wort boiling. Short, wide kettles take more heat to maintain the boil and thus you get more boil off than for a taller and skinnier kettle. If you add more heat so you get a stronger boil, you then boil off more water.

Yes, everything scales just like you would imagine except for the time required for the mash and the boil off which is a constant, not a ratio.

The time required for the mash depends on the quality of the crush with a coarser crush taking more time.

Boil off is a function of the amount of heat you apply to keep the wort boiling. Short, wide kettles take more heat to maintain the boil and thus you get more boil off than for a taller and skinnier kettle. If you add more heat so you get a stronger boil, you then boil off more water.

Ok. Great. That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to double check. Thanks for the response.

Latest posts

Back