BierMuncher Brand Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuateBrewer

Reaction score
I was looking at the thread last night on the BM Counter Pressure bottle filler, and 20 or so feet of 3/8 sitting on the shelf on the garage and got to thinking why spend any money on fittings etc to make an immersion chiller when I want to upgrade my gear next time I am in the states. My tap water is also not cold at all so, was thinking of going to sump pump route but that adds more wires/hose and electricity to the mix.

One Empty Corny filled with luke warm tap water, 1st pass, then filled with ice and tap water
One Air connect hooked up to the air compressor (pending upgrade) or CO2 tank
One Cobra Tap
2 Feet of Scrap Plasitc tubing
Partial Roll of Scrap 3/8 Tubing
Paper Towel soaking is Sanitizer to cool the end of the copper tube before sticking the cobra tap on.

And a so so IC chiller is born for free.

chiller1.jpg

chiller2.jpg

3 gallons from boiling to 70F in under 20 minutes including the time breaking up the 10 lb block of ice I froze to fit in the corny!

Cheers - hope there is not a BM patent on this :)

I'm thinking 'luke warm" is just what his tap water is and the temp differential is high enough between say 210F wort and 85F tap. No reason to waste the ice on the first pass.

Right - just from the hose to the corny for the first 3-4 gallons which pulls the temp to 100-110, then hit it with the ice watch once the temperature delta is reduced.

Nice! I get all sorts of ideas now. You can use those cheap pond pump from harbor freight. Transfer from a garbage can with ice water, to a container, then cycle it back into the garbage can.. 25' coils are pretty cheap at home depot...

I'm putting this one on the back burner!

Back