Biggest Home Brewing Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I finished up a brown recently, I cooled the wort and went to take a sample with a thief to get an OG reading. I grabbed my spray bottle of sanitizer that was on the shelf by me in the garage, sprayed the thief well, and got my sample.

I went ahead and transferred the wort to the bucket to ferment, and grabbed the sanitizer bottle. I looked and had a bottle of Awesome brand cleaner instead of sanitizer, and it was now in my wort.

It probably wasn't enough cleaner to be dangerous in 5 gallons, but I dumped it anyway. One of the homebrew club members laughed and said he would have kept to see if it would ferment.

I broke a carboy by filling it with hot wort and setting in a cold in-ground swimming pool.

It's easy to convince yourself that these things will work, but in the end you find yourself in the wee hours of a cold January night, standing in a pool wearing pajama shorts and tennis shoes, wading around looking for shards of glass and praying your wife doesn't catch you.

Yea, been there done that (the following video is from my superdumb noob days. I know there's a ton of stupidity there. I don't do any of that stuff anymore!) I was trying to teach my brother in calif how to brew by making videos. Thank god he didn't follow my example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8CAyasNwag

You need only to go as far as reading "Using pool as wort chiller" - OMG that's great!

Of course, I used to use the bathtub.

I've only been brewing for the past 5 months. Anyways, back in November I was about to bottle a 2.5 gallon Dunkelweizen. As I siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket I began to hear a splashing sound on the ground. I had the spigot in the ON position. I lost about 12 ounces of beer. It was definitely a bad day. 😢😢😢😢😢

At least it was only 12 ounces. I lost a gallon to the same mistake. All over the tiled kitchen floor. Yeah, the wife never let me forget that screwup.

I just had one this week. Bought a used kegerator that needed the tank, regulator and gas lines. Saturday, I installed all the new hardware, including a little MacGuyver setup to dispense mini kegs using an Edgestar tap hooked to the tap tower and the gas line.

As my wife and I were headed our for the evening, I took her to the basement to show her the handiwork and when I opened the fridge she said "what's that hissing noise?" Well I can't hear for **** and said "oh it's probably just the fridge running.

No, it wasn't - gas leak from the MacGuyver rig. Lost a full 5lb tank of CO2 in about 5 hours.

Back