Bittering hop subs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
I have another question for some of you pros out there... A recipe that I'm considering making this weekend calls for Magnum bittering hops. I cannot get magnums. I do have a good supply of Columbus and a few Warrior right now. Both high alpha. Those magnum are a 60 minute addition. Would it hurt to sub in Columbus or Warrior? I know Magnum is usually a smooth bittering hop and I'm a little worried that Columbus or Warrior would make it a little harsher. This is in an Imperial Stout. What are your thoughts and advice? Thanks a bunch!

You should be fine using either of the two...

I know Stoudts uses Warrior to bitter their Fat Dog Stout (9.5% ABV). I've read that Columbus is fine in stouts as well, as bittering hops.

I dont typically use high alpha hops, but of the ones I have used Columbus is my favorite. I am sure you could sub it right in if you had to.

cubbies said:
I dont typically use high alpha hops, but of the ones I have used Columbus is my favorite. I am sure you could sub it right in if you had to.

I'm actually leaning towards using the columbus hops in place of the magnum. Good to hear that you think I could sub them in.

Back