Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey_pickle

Reaction score
Not a big fan of the original Blue Moon Belgian White, but I have to say that I tasted the winter abbey and it is fantastic for a BMC beer. I did a search on here and was wondering if anyone had tried it and if there may be a recipe out there somewhere. Mucho Thanko.

Their website says "roasted malts" "Belgian sugar" "touch of wheat"

I would guess there is some caramel malt in there as well. They use a clean American strain on the regular Blue Moon, so I would guess they do something similar for this one. 5.6 ABV, so aim for an OG in the low 1.050s, and keep the IBUs under 20.

I haven’t tried it, so I won’t try to construct a recipe, but take a look at some dubbel recipes that have been posted to get some general ideas.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Read that on the packaging and looked around NB's siteto come up with this:

O.G: 1.065 READY: 2 MONTHS
1–2 weeks primary, 1 month secondary, 1–2 weeks in keg
KIT INVENTORY:

SPECIALTY GRAIN

-- 0.25 lbs Dingemans Caramunich
-- 0.25 lbs Dingemans Special B

FERMENTABLES

-- 6.3 lbs Gold Malt syrup (60 min)
-- 1 Golden Light dry malt extract (60 min)
-- 1 lbs Dark Belgian Candi sugar (15 min)

HOPS & FLAVORINGS

-- 1 oz Tradition (60 min)
-- 1 oz Hersbrucker (10 min)

YEAST

-- WYEAST 1214 BELGIAN ABBEY. Abbey-style topfermenting
yeast, suitable for high-gravity beers. Estery.
Apparent attenuation: 72-76%. Flocculation: medium. Optimum
temp: 68–78° F.

Looks like a pretty close example of what you stated.

Looks like that would make a tasty beer, but it still needs a few adjustments if you want something closer to the Bue Moon. I would drop the OG (removing the DME would be enough), switch to a cleaner yeast, and add a couple ounces of Carafa (it sounds from reviews that the beer has a slightly roasty edge to it).

The recipe would make a fine beer as is, just depends what you want.

I kinda want to revive this thread. It's winter again and I want to make a clone of this. I had it last year and I thought it was really good. I like my beers to have extreme tastes and I liked how this one was really sweet and malty. (I drank a Sam Adams IPA in between each one of the Blue Moons just cause it helped bring out the tastes in the beers :cross:)

I did a bit of searching and it seems most people don't like this beer. I guess mainly cause its a BMC. Anyway, I would like to make a clone of this but if anyone could suggest a better clone that has a similar kind of taste I'd be willing to try that. If I can't get any suggestions I guess I'll do the recipe given by whiskey_pickle but I would rather try a recipe that others have used and proven great.

Any suggestions would be great

EDIT: Oh and I'm still an extract brewer so I would prefer an extract recipe

I haven't had it this year (if ever, I can't revcall)-- but I second Oldsock's comments to the NB "clone" (?) posted above... esp the yeast and OG.

If you want to get close to Blue Moon-- Steep some two row, the specialty grains and some wheat, boil enough extract to get to about 1.055, & use US-05 American ale yeast.

If you want a true "dubbel" belgian beer, do the NB one.

Back