Blueberry Pomegranate Hibiscus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmage

Reaction score
I just bottled this one a couple of weeks ago and I like it so much that I figured I would share (also wish I would've done a larger batch lol).

SG: 1.126 - FG: 0.998

3lbs honey ( I used 2lbs clover and 1lb buckwheat)
3lbs frozen blueberries
1 qt pomegranate juice
3Tbsp hibiscus
3Tbsp meadowsweet
Yeast (I used red star premier classique)
GoFerm
Fermaid O (I just did one addition on day 2 after pitch)
1 Gallon spring water (I used Buhl water)
I used LQ Superkleer to polish

Bring half gallon of water to a boil and pour over hibiscus and meadowsweet, I used a mesh bag like a teabag, and steep for an hour. Add 1/2 blueberries, honey and pomegranate juice. I thawed out the bluberries and crushed them in a zipper bag. Added water to 1 gallon. Rehydrate yeast in GoFerm and pitch when in temperature range.
I stir 3 times a day for first week. Then about twice a day week 2. On second day after pitch I added 1.5g fermaid O.
Racked to secondary about 2 weeks later, added remaining blueberries (thawed and crushed). When blueberries all fell to bottom I racked again. Let sit for another week, racked again. Added LQ finings waited 2-3 days racked and bottled.

This mead tastes amazing and has a great color. Reminds me of a sweeter red wine as it finishes a little dry. Tastes better as it breathes, it's still pretty young, I just can't wait to drink it lol.
I'll post some pictures when I open another bottle...

IMG_20181104_184406.jpg

Is there a substitute or another name for meadowsweet? Over here it is for heartburn etc. or have you put it in there to counteract a big meal and tasty mead [emoji38]

Is there a substitute or another name for meadowsweet? Over here it is for heartburn etc. or have you put it in there to counteract a big meal and tasty mead [emoji38]

Honestly it started as a curiosity, reading into ancient meads. Meadowsweet is also known as mead-wort from its widespread use in mead. I messed around trying different tea mixes and it paired well with hibiscus, tasted great with a little honey. The flavors blended really well for me, the tea balanced the sweet/tart of the honey and fruits. And if it helps with headache/heartburn all the better. ;)

That really sounds nice. Do you reckon it would be as good with a lower ABV? Say around 9/10% or even less?
I'm actually planning on doing a 5 gallon batch with a SG of 1.080, so it should be around 10% I'm hoping it doesn't mess with the balance too much. I'll let you know.

Ok gonna try the same batch but with only 1lb of honey. Should be around 5%. Pitching yeast tomorrow...

So it got a little higher than I was hoping, but here goes.
SG:1.060
10oz clover honey
6oz buckwheat honey
1quart tea made with 3T hibiscus and 3T meadowsweet
1lb frozen blueberries thawed and crushed
1.5lbs frozen blueberries for secondary
1t lemon juice
1quart pomegranate juice
1quart apple juice
Water to 1 gallon
5g D47 yeast rehydrated with goferm.
IMG_20181117_131630.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, four days after pitch, gravity is already at 1.002. Tastes delicious already, lower alcohol doesn't seem to have messed with the balance...
IMG_20181122_094424.jpg

I’m new at mead making so I’m probably going to sound very stupid, but during the first weeks where you say you stir it up multiple times a day, you also had an airlock, correct? I want to try this recipe but I don’t want to ruin it

I’m new at mead making so I’m probably going to sound very stupid, but during the first weeks where you say you stir it up multiple times a day, you also had an airlock, correct? I want to try this recipe but I don’t want to ruin it
Yes it is under an airlock or blowoff tube in the primary. I stir for the first few days to degass and add a little oxygen. Stop stirring between 1/2 & 1/3 sugar break...

Welcome philosophic: Here's the thing, many of us who advocate daily stirring advocate the use of buckets as your primary, and while food grade buckets normally have sealable lids which either come with or can be drilled to hold grommets and airlocks, by far the most effective cover is simply a clean dish towel that you can easily remove to stir. Airlocks and containers filled right up into the neck are necessary only after active fermentation has ended and the yeast has no more sugar from which to generate CO2 (carbon dioxide) but during the first few weeks when the yeast is pounding out CO2 and your mead is blanketed with this gas and the mead is saturated (literally, saturated) with this gas there really is no need to seal your fermenter and there is no need for an airlock. Any air that enters your bucket will be grabbed by the yeast well before it can do anything to the honey or fruit fermenting in the bucket.

Moreover, an airlock acts as a speed bump to the CO2. You want that CO2 to be able to be ejected as fast as it is being produced. The presence of large amounts of CO2 stresses yeast -both chemically and physically AND CO2 increases the acidity of the mead in ways that honey cannot buffer. Acidity to improve taste or as an aid to preserve the mead is important but it is important before bottling not while the yeast is doing its thing.

I just bottled this one a couple of weeks ago and I like it so much that I figured I would share (also wish I would've done a larger batch lol).

SG: 1.126 - FG: 0.998

3lbs honey ( I used 2lbs clover and 1lb buckwheat)
3lbs frozen blueberries
1 qt pomegranate juice
3Tbsp hibiscus
3Tbsp meadowsweet
Yeast (I used red star premier classique)
GoFerm
Fermaid O (I just did one addition on day 2 after pitch)
1 Gallon spring water (I used Buhl water)
I used LQ Superkleer to polish

Bring half gallon of water to a boil and pour over hibiscus and meadowsweet, I used a mesh bag like a teabag, and steep for an hour. Add 1/2 blueberries, honey and pomegranate juice. I thawed out the bluberries and crushed them in a zipper bag. Added water to 1 gallon. Rehydrate yeast in GoFerm and pitch when in temperature range.
I stir 3 times a day for first week. Then about twice a day week 2. On second day after pitch I added 1.5g fermaid O.
Racked to secondary about 2 weeks later, added remaining blueberries (thawed and crushed). When blueberries all fell to bottom I racked again. Let sit for another week, racked again. Added LQ finings waited 2-3 days racked and bottled.

This mead tastes amazing and has a great color. Reminds me of a sweeter red wine as it finishes a little dry. Tastes better as it breathes, it's still pretty young, I just can't wait to drink it lol.
I'll post some pictures when I open another bottle...

I’ve just started a batch of your recipe here. Reading in different places some say to add the 1.5g nutrient staggered with the sugar breaks and not all at once. Is there a reason you only did yours that one time? Just curious. Trying to make sure I do things right

I’ve just started a batch of your recipe here. Reading in different places some say to add the 1.5g nutrient staggered with the sugar breaks and not all at once. Is there a reason you only did yours that one time? Just curious. Trying to make sure I do things right

I know a staggered additon of nutrients is the best way to go, I just got busy and lazy and just did one addition And from listening to a podcast with Steve Piatz he said he usually only does one nutrient addition so I think I'm safe lol

I know a staggered additon of nutrients is the best way to go, I just got busy and lazy and just did one addition And from listening to a podcast with Steve Piatz he said he usually only does one nutrient addition so I think I'm safe lol
Thanks! I’m just checking on things so I don’t ruin a whole batch

When making yours, did it ever have an off smell to it during fermentation?

Nothing I ever noticed... What kind of off smell are you getting?
It sort of just smells like gassy I guess? I looked up some stuff online that says it’s common to have some sells like that during wine production. It doesn’t smell as bed now as it did when I first started.

Sorry to be asking so many questions. I’m just very new to this

It sort of just smells like gassy I guess? I looked up some stuff online that says it’s common to have some sells like that during wine production. It doesn’t smell as bed now as it did when I first started.

Sorry to be asking so many questions. I’m just very new to this
Ask away, everyone here seems to be very helpful

if you are talking a sulphery, fartish, smell, yeah that seems to be pretty common. Apparently it's a by product of some yeasts, and can be produced by any of them if they need to be fed. disclaimer: I AM GOING SOLEY BY WHAT I'VE READ ON THIS FORUM.:D

Probably as a result from not enough degassing in the process. The sulfur comes from CO2 not escaping properly or something like that. Search for degassing and you will get yourselves sorted. CO2 and alcohol are the byproduct of the yeasts doing their thing - one we like, one we don't. So we stir/shake/agitate the holy heck out of the must for the first week and in doing so the CO2 is moved on its merry way. Apparently time can also deal with the rotten eggs smell, but seriously, who's got time for patience.

Anyhoo, suspect i've had a couple of glasses too many of the good stuff (Groenfell clone - bloody fantastic) to make too much sense.

Good job all,

Cheers

Successfully stabilized and back sweetened to 1.015. Added lq finings today. Hopefully bottle in a week or two. This tastes amazing! Lower abv and a little sweetness really made this mead pop!

On second day after pitch I added 1.5g fermaid O.

Hey Greenmage,

I am interested if this was the right amount of nutrient? I would have thought that a gallon would have needed 6grams maybe? Or does the blueberries and juice provide any nutrients?

Generally I was wondering how this was going?

Cheers

Hey Greenmage,

I am interested if this was the right amount of nutrient? I would have thought that a gallon would have needed 6grams maybe? Or does the blueberries and juice provide any nutrients?

Generally I was wondering how this was going?

Cheers
It was a one gallon batch

Update on this. It is magic after 4 months. Came out at 10% which is ok, but the taste is really nice. I can taste the blueberries and pomegranate as well as something on the back end - the tea maybe?

Thanks for posting

Looks like my son n law and I will be making this one . Sounds delicious . Were going to make a 5 gallon batch , we are also gonna tame it down a bit . @greenmage that color is awesome ! Thanks for putting this up . Were beer brewers starting to make mead now .

Back