Boilermakers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailmix

Reaction score
Heres a thought;

The boiler maker is adding shot of whiskey to a beer. Would there be a way to incorporate that in the brew process? Maybe adding it in the secodnary, or before bottling?

I'm not sure how well the yeast would work with that much extra alcohol...you might end up with flat whiskey tasting beer. :(

If you are after a true boilermaker, it's best to probably just do it the way they do in the bars (one glass at a time).

If, however, you are mainly after the FLAVOR of the whiskey in your beer and not necessarily the alcohol content, add the whiskey to your boil. The alchohol will boil off and leave the flavor behind.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
I'm not sure how well the yeast would work with that much extra alcohol...you might end up with flat whiskey tasting beer. :(

If you keg the beer and force carbonate, then you would avoid the flat portion of the problem.

However, IMHO, it'd be pretty gross tasting.

I think it's a little like a black & tan. Not just the mingling of flavors, but the variation of the mixing ratios as you drink it. In Illinois, boiler makers were done by dropping the shotglass into the beer. In New Jersey, you gripped the shotglass above the beer glass and trickled it into your mouth as you drank the beer. Rather messy until you get the knack.

i agree about adding it to your keg. You could always add some to the keg before you force carbonate but I don't think it would taste that great.

Remember "Tequiza" - the beer with the flavor of Tequila?

I'd think that you could add some whiskey to your beer right before bottling. That would keep the flavor intact and would damage your yeast. Might actually taste pretty good. If you figure it out, send me a bottle!

[Rant]You have your glass of beer, and sitting next to it you have your shot glass, containing Irish, or Scotch, or Burbon, or Tequila, or whatever (I like tuaca). You take a sip of whatever's in the shot glass, then you take a drink of beer. If that's too much trouble for you then just buy a bottle of Everclear and some grape nehi and go to work.[/Rant]

trailmix said:
Heres a thought;

The boiler maker is adding shot of whiskey to a beer. Would there be a way to incorporate that in the brew process? Maybe adding it in the secodnary, or before bottling?

You could always age it in an oak whiskey barrel or with some whiskey soaked oak chips to get a flavor from that. I had a beer (stout) at the NHBC that was aged in a whiskey barrel (or with chips) and it was pretty damn good....

Yeah Adelscot is made like this I think, it's fermented in barrels that have stored whiskey. Nice enough beer, although I think it made me drunk. :)

Kegging will not help. The whiskey will not stay mixed in the beer. As suggested above, soaking oak chips and tossing them into your secondary will work best or just combine the two while drinking.

Wild

Latest posts

Back