Boiling to Remove Temporary Hardness.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on boiling to remove temporary hardness from my water for a brew tomorrow.

Couple Questions......

1.) My water is 250-300 Hardness, almost all of which is temporary hardness. My water is VERY similar to Munich water.

2.) When doing this...... bring water to a boil..... boil for 10 minutes. Should I agitate as it comes up to boil? Should I chill the water after I boil it? Basically..... what do I do after I boil it, and when?

3.) Mineral and acid additions after I have Moved water from boil vessel (off of sediment) I assume??

Any other thoughts/advice?

Thanks

1. I have similarly hard water. I also preboil.
2. I boil for about 20 minutes, but 10 should be enough. There's plenty of agitation with a rolling boil. I transfer to my HLT almost right away and let it sit overnight (I boil my water the night before). I don't chill.
3. I add minerals to the preboil water to make sure I have enough Calcium to precipitate the carbonate. I have a calculator to determine my post-boil mineral levels, which I'd be glad to share. Got some feedback from AJ on my calcs. Essentially, you should have about 1 meq/l (50 ppm) after preboiling your water. I test my boiled water with a LaMotte kit and get between 50 and 70 ppm (as CaCO3).
Good luck!

1. I have similarly hard water. I also preboil.
2. I boil for about 20 minutes, but 10 should be enough. There's plenty of agitation with a rolling boil. I transfer to my HLT almost right away and let it sit overnight (I boil my water the night before). I don't chill.
3. I add minerals to the preboil water to make sure I have enough Calcium to precipitate the carbonate. I have a calculator to determine my post-boil mineral levels, which I'd be glad to share. Got some feedback from AJ on my calcs. Essentially, you should have about 1 meq/l (50 ppm) after preboiling your water. I test my boiled water with a LaMotte kit and get between 50 and 70 ppm (as CaCO3).
Good luck!

If my preboil water is very similar to the munich water in B'run water..... would I be correct to assume my post boil water would be in the ball park of the B'run water profile for Munich Boiled?? My Calcium (pre boil) is 65.

We have really similar water. My gut feeling is that boiling should get you around the same numbers as the Munch Boiled profile. I add a little excess calcium to get most all the alkalinity out and to get my strike water calcium up to about 50 ppm.
I should clarify what I posted above is that I'm targeting 50 ppm Alkalinity (as CaCO3), or 1 meq/l.

Back