Bottle condition Peak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louz

Reaction score
I'm sure answers will vary on this.

But for IPA's, in general, how many weeks of bottle conditioning before the beer reaches its peak flavor/aroma?

I have been experimenting myself with labeling and refrigerating different weeks to try and pinpoint the best conditioning length. Just curious what you guys have found.

Technically, fermentation scrubs beer of hop essence and IPAs are freshest as early as possible anyway. By that rationale peak flavor/aroma is before you bottle, but that's not very practical/useful. Therefore, the optimal time is once it's sufficiently carbed, then drink early and often.

There's a post on here where the bottles were sampled every day after 2 weeks and the end result was 31 days at ~70* was when the carbonation was perfect. For me those beers you talk about are best kegged and force carbed and consumed rite away.

I think in most cases, more than 4 weeks is too much. I rarely brew/drink IPAs, but when I do, I drink them as fast as possible.

My latest one * 6.4% ABV ( OG: 1.060 / FG: 1.010 )+100% Golden Promise + All Citra and Amarillo - really great beer * was brewed on May 14, 2018 and bottled on May 26, 2018. It is now finished, and I had like 5.5 gallons of it in bottles. Fresh is best in most cases. Some IPAs will benefit from more time ( like 2 weeks and not months ), but not many. I like them fresh, dank, in your face.

I personally like my IPA's after a week of conditioning, but it all depends what you like. The hop flavors are a little stronger (some might call it green beer), but I like the taste of the hops. I drink it as soon as it's carbed, but haven't tried any other styles. I recently brewed a golden ale which I may not sample until 2 weeks though. Made that one specifically for an upcoming party with mostly lighter beer drinkers, so going for a more smooth tasting beer for that.

Back