Bottling in a Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
So I went to the local home brew shop today to pick up some things and my Dad wanted to come check it all out with me. He decided to pick up a growler so I could just bottle him up a growler and he can just use that instead of me giving him a 6 pack.

So, is bottling into a growler the same drill as 12oz bottles? Do I fill all the way to the top or leave a little more space? (Its a 2L growler, if thats important. I think its actually this one)

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much the same as 12 oz bottles. Fill to the top with bottle filler and leave an inch or so of head space. Do not underfill! It may take a couple weeks longer to carb than 12 oz bottles.

Awesome! Thanks.

So if I'm leaving an inch or so I probably shouldn't fill it all the way to the lip, like i do my bottles? Maybe a half inch under? Out of curiosity, what happens if you underfill? Does it blow up? or does it just not carbonate?

Awesome! Thanks.

So if I'm leaving an inch or so I probably shouldn't fill it all the way to the lip, like i do my bottles? Maybe a half inch under? Out of curiosity, what happens if you underfill? Does it blow up? or does it just not carbonate?

I dont know the science behind it but from experence my bottle bombs have been the ones that were filled more than they should have been. only logic I can apply is gas compresses liquid does not by giving some head volume the CO2 has an area to compress where as if there is no head room it compresses in what little room it can till it explodes. Again I am not positive that this it true just a pretty good educated guess.

A bottle that is under filled may over carbonate and explode. Also, excessive air in the bottle will oxidize the beer to some degree. I always let me beers finish so I have no personal experience with bottle bombs but the above advice is what I've read and it makes sense to me.

Just to tag onto this thread... so a growler will seal/hold carbonation as well as a capped bottle? I just wanted to make sure because I'm considering bottling in a couple of these to give away at Christmas.

Just to tag onto this thread... so a growler will seal/hold carbonation as well as a capped bottle? I just wanted to make sure because I'm considering bottling in a couple of these to give away at Christmas.

I hope so! I just bottled in it. Hopefully I didn't over or underfill...could be exciting though.

Just to double up. When bottling I was always told to leave some head space. Look at what commercial brews are doing and go to that level. They are filling there for looks now, though in the past when they did all bottle conditioning there is a reason the bottles allow head space.

Those twist top growlers are for taking an already carbed beer away from the keg, so don't condition in them.

I am a personal fan of this bottle. :D

My first thought here is that he could drink a 6 pack over a period of time, but once you start a growler you better be thirsty.
:drunk:

Ok - Thats something I was wondering about. After you open up the growler - how long can you keep it around before it goes flat?

For the most part, growlers are made to transport, not to carb, so please keep this somewhere that is safe if it explodes. A vessel has to hold a lot more pressure to carbonate beer than it does once it is fully carbed just to transport it.

Back