Bottling in Tropical Country

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owlykawa

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I live in Singapore. Over there the ambient temperature is fairly constant at around 27deg C.
I am currently finishing to brew a Californian Pale Ale (It was a close of Sierra Nevada pale ale, using Whitelab yeast). My fermentation temperature has been 22deg C. Also I am not very experienced in brewing so please accept my apologies if this is a too dumb question.
I will bottle in a couple of days and I was wondering if you could provide me recommendation on how to store the bottles after priming.

Every time I read something about resting time and storage, I got that I should let the bottle rest at "room temperature" however I suppose that "room temperature" is not 30deg C. Hence my question:

After priming, should I:

1/ Let rest my beer 1 week/10 days at 22deg to complete the carbonation and then store it somewhere safe in my kitchen at 30deg?
2/ Prime and carbonate my beer at 30deg (i.e. store the bottle in my kitchen straight after bottleing and keep it there)
3/ prime, carbonate and store my beer at 22deg (i.e. keep it in my "brewing room" with AC on at 22deg)
4/ Prime carbonate and store my beer in my fridge at 4deg?

Thanks a lot

Etienne

Welcome to HBT, Owlykawa :mug:

Of the four options, I would go with Option 3.

- 27°C would be borderline, while 30°C would just accelerate the degradation process that much faster.
- 4°C the yeast will likely go into a stupor and leave the priming sugar intact. Bad juju.

Could there be an Option 5: prime, cap and carbonate at 22°C, then store in the 4°C fridge?

Cheers!

Hiya

Ok it is what I though - I knew that yeast does not like high temperature but I was wondering if it was important for storage/carbonating phase. The answer is yes then.

One of my previous batch has been stored at 30 deg and indeed it began after a couple of weeks to develop some off flavours. I stupidly pitched my yeast at a too high temperature, so I though that this weird taste was due to the temperature of fermentation but the storage did not help obviously.

Thanks a lot for the guidance.

Etienne

Latest posts

Back