Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinCider

Reaction score
Any one have any experience with this? I was just going to take some untoasted french oak chips and soak the for a week in some bourbon and then put them into secondary with a cyser i have started. Got the idea from B Nektars Z.T.M.. Seems like it would work. Give them a week in there and give it a taste.

Yes for beer, but haven't used the technique for mead yet. Works fine though...I put the chips in a couple of ounces of bourbon for a couple of weeks, then when I am ready to use, I spread the chips out on a cookie tray and let them air dry for a bit. They go in a muslin or nylon sack and right into the carboy. Be prepared to taste and pull when necessary, and I wouldn't go more than an ounce of chips for a full size batch...comes out plenty oakey, and is very easy to over-oak with more than that on board...

BTW, the left over bourbon is quite oakey by itself, and it has occurred to me that you could use this as an extract and add directly to a batch, titrated to taste...it is also useful as a test to see how a given mead/beer would be if it were oaked...

Yes for beer, but haven't used the technique for mead yet. Works fine though...I put the chips in a couple of ounces of bourbon for a couple of weeks, then when I am ready to use, I spread the chips out on a cookie tray and let them air dry for a bit. They go in a muslin or nylon sack and right into the carboy. Be prepared to taste and pull when necessary, and I wouldn't go more than an ounce of chips for a full size batch...comes out plenty oakey, and is very easy to over-oak with more than that on board...

BTW, the left over bourbon is quite oakey by itself, and it has occurred to me that you could use this as an extract and add directly to a batch, titrated to taste...it is also useful as a test to see how a given mead/beer would be if it were oaked...

Is there a brand you prefer?

I also was wondering about the mead application. I use Woodford Reserve in my stouts and porters. Ok and for sippin too

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've been thinking about this too! I've never tries anything but cubes, but from what I read they're preferable to chips in that you have more control over the flavor. I have a couple of med toast American cubes oaking a quart-sized perfect manhattan, I may repurpose those when the manhattans are good.

I try to get at least a half decent bourbon, something at least 10 year aged, but not completely over the top...I'm drawing a blank on the name of the last one I purchased.

Sent from my iPad Mini using HBT Mobile

It works especially well for orange blossom mead. I prefer Elijah Craig and Eagle Rare.

Do NOT use Ri. It is terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back